Petunia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Technopuppy, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Technopuppy

Technopuppy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

Just a quick question. Has anyone tried to propagate petunia from cuttings? The thing is I bought a petunia from my local garden centre and I've never seen it before (yellow foliage, magenta flowers) and I'd like to propagate it but not too sure how to go about it as I can't see any seeds at the moment and generally not sure whether it would germinate even if I did manage to collect the seeds. So, if anyone successfully propagated petunia by cutting, please, share your experience. Many thanks.

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Yes, you can do it. You may find that your petunia doesn't set seed, and even if it does it's unlikely that your seedlings would be true to the parent. They are easy to grow from seed though so it's worth trying if you do get any.
    To take a cutting, cut a shoot just below a growing point, pinch out the top leaves, and dip in rooting gel or powder. then put it in a pot of moist compost/soil and put a plastic bottle over the top until it is rooted.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/propagation_takesummercuttings.shtml
    Have fun! Cuttings are the way the new varieties are propagated.
    [​IMG]

3. Technopuppy

Technopuppy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liz. I'll give it a go tonight and if it goes well, will send you some photos [​IMG] Thanks.