ph levels & shade

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Seana, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Seana

Seana Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,
    I've spent the last couple of weekends digging and preparing my new vegetable patch following many of the tips on this forum I might add [​IMG]

I have two questions though:
    1) I've tested the soil and the nutrient level is "surplus" apparently - which I assume is good, but the ph level is 8. Am I right in thinking vegetables need a slightly acidic soil? If so, any suggestions as to what I can do to bring that level down?
    2) One of the beds is slightly shaded by the shed - will that affect what I can grow in there?

Thanks in advance!

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Vegetables on the whole need a pH (Potential of Hydrogen ) level of 6.5 - 7 . To bring it down you should incorporate plenty of peat into the soil, also you could add some Flowers of Sulphur, if you do this you should add the sulphur gradually and test the soil after each application. Lowering the pH level is something which should be done over a couple of years, but don`t be put off growing whatever you like, there is a saying in gardening that a plant has 2 chances, it either grows or it doesn`t. David.

3. Seana

Seana Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    lol excellent, thanks for the advice.

I wish I'd taken before and after pictures, I'm really quite proud! I just hope it all grows!

4. Essexgardens

Essexgardens Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You can also dig in some coffee grounds, which will also bring the pH down,useful if you're peat-free

5. azadaman

azadaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Go to your nearest cafe.
    They will only be too happy to give you old coffee grounds cos they only throw them away.
    Ask them to save them for a week then go pick them up.