1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Photinia fraseri 'Red Robin' - positioning

Discussion in 'Trees' started by pewe, Apr 27, 2018.

1. pewe

pewe Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Can anyone tell me how far should these (Photinia fraseri 'Red Robin') be planted from the house.

They have been used extensively by the developer of our new house - mostly along the borders on the outside of garden walls to add colour to the streets.
    However there are some which have been planted along borders under blank walls on some of the houses, ours included, to add some character/colour.

I believe these can grow to 4 metres high and am wondering if the roots would be strong enough to interfere with the footings.

Anyone know?

2. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    20180427_103213.jpg

This is my red robin. It has been growing unchecked for about 15 years.

G.

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      They can grow large, dont think the root structure is potentially damaging to buildings but why plant close to a building? It will never grow properly and secondly it will be mishapen. It will blow and scrape against the house creating further problems.
      Pewe, I would not plant closer than 10' to a building.:)

• pewe

pewe Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      That's not too large after 15 years - there are larger trees here on the estate after only 12 months.

I take your point about scraping against the house.
      They seem to be a healthy/nice shape at the moment, but they are only about 1.5 metres high at present.
      I'm not sure why they planted these so close to the house but we have 5 within a border that is less than 2 metres long. Maybe it was a cost vs quantity issue?

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      At my niece's new build ....luckily not her house though....rhodos and others are planted 40 cm or so from the houses! I have suggested to her neighbour that he move them out by at least 2 metres.
      Why oh why do these "experts" plant as they do? They overplant too putting way too many shrubs in??? Perhaps they get paid for cramming them in???:sad:

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      @pewe Photinia fraseri 'red robin' is best grown as a shrub rather than a tree - and planted together as you have them there, create a very nice evergreen (or red) hedge. The roots will not damage footings. I have several of these, and clip them to about 4ft high whenever they ''green up'' - this makes all the new shoots sprout bright red again.

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      ''There are many ways to grow the Red Robin plant, including planting it in the ground, in pots and against a wall. It can make for a great decorative feature with its lovely coloured leaves. It truly is an easy plant to grow and look after, with pruning once or twice a year recommended between March and mid July, to help keep its shape. It tends to drop its leaves throughout the year, and it is a good idea to collect these from the base of the tree to deter snails and slugs. If you are planting Photinia Red Robin as a hedge we would recommend using between 2 and 3 plants per metre depending on the size of plant you plan to use.''[​IMG]
      I have ''borrowed'' this information and photo from a nursery website.E: [email protected]

• Like Like x 1