Photomatix Pro V5 Released

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Dave W, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Just had an email from Photomatix. Version 5 is now available. Registered users of recent earlier versions will be able to upgrade free. My orginal version was V3 back in 2008 so it's cost £28 to upgrade this time. No complaints though as it's a very good bit of software and I'll get the next upgrades FOC for a year or so.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    It looks like an interesting piece of software, Dave. I'm not really into HDR but although I have taken a few HDR shots in the last year I might not have an inclination to buy it. What's your opinion on it and reasons to use it??:scratch::snork:

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Attitudes to HDR are similar to attitudes to Marmite.
    I like playing with HDR now and then as I like the creative lattitude it gives me. It can, in the right circumstances, produce excellent photos with a dynamic range that a single shot could not. It can also produce quite arty looking 'pictures', though it can also produce some horrible looking ones. It can work very well on 'architectural' type scenes - buildings, bridges etc and also works very well on church interiors.
    You can get a free download of Photomatix but it imposes a watermark but is ok for a trial to see if you like it.There's also a link to sample images in the Photomatix site.
    I've a really good HDR of the interior of Wells Cathedral, but can at present find the wretched file!
    Here's an example, though not a good one of HDR at work. It wasn't the best light for HDR as the range of levels was low due to lack of sun.
    First image is one of the 3 bracketed photos I took, there's lack of detail in the sky.
    Second image is the 3 bracketed exposures combined and more details showing.
    Third is the result of a mono conversion.
    You'll note the power lines have been "photoshopped" out.
    muirie1.JPG
    Murie3sml.jpg
    Murie3monoHD2s.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      @Dave W Does this new V 4.2.7 on ebay for £25.99 incl P&P look like a good buy as presumably it can be upgraded FOC to V5 and work out £1.99 cheaper than you upgrading your existing V3?

• Like Like x 1
      • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,035
        Hi Scrungee.The price looks good, but check out the Photomatix site to verify that V4.2.7 does qualify for a free upgrade, I think it almost certainly does but best be sure. I made a mistake when I wrote the price for me to upgrade - it was £22.86.
        Another thing you might like to do is check with the ebay seller that the CD includes the licence key, as when you install (at least from downloaded versions) you have to use the key to register the program. Once registered you'll get notifications emailed to you about any future upgrades.
        BTW My original version was V3, but I'd had a free upgrade to V4.2 about a year or 18 months ago. When my attempt to upgrade to V5 free was refused it was on the grounds that my original version was V3.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        I guess I'm neutral on HDR and it's use. I can see it certainly gives a lot of brushes for extending the artistic and exploratory side of photography but maybe I haven't opened that door yet.:dunno: I did some HDR shots [landscape] but only used it to increase the dynamic range and then only on a limited scale which satisfied my use of it but didn't give me any appetite to explore more.But seeing your work does give food for thought and it's obvious you are experienced and skilled in the art.
        Steve R is also, I think, a proponent of HDR and uses HDR in his fantastic landscape shots but in a way that takes the original image beyond the ordinary but not beyond the natural. If anything his skill accentuates the naturalness of the scene. So I guess you can go down different paths with HDR and get so many opposing but pleasing images.
        I think I'm too busy at the moment trying to get to a reasonable standard of photography and understanding the lenses I've got, how to use the different characteristics, vices and virtues and how to get the best use and images out of them without too much software.
        I wouldn't mind, Dave, if you gave a few more examples of your HDR work. We don't see an awful lot of your images and it would. I think, be of great interest to other GC photographers and maybe set a few on the path to using it.:snork:

• Like Like x 3
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,889
          I think Woo started a thread on HDR sometime last year.

I can't say I like this very much, the shots remind me of pictures on jigsaw puzzle boxes and postcards. I still think that photographs should portray the image that we've taken, why take a picture of something for future perusal/reminiscence only to find in the future it's not as it seems because the shot was altered. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,035
            Yes Sheal, it's horses for courses and just like tastes for Marmite:biggrin:
            What HDR can undoubtedly do, IF employed skillfully, (and I can't claim that I do) is produce an image nearer to what you REALLY DID SEE than a single photograph that has a very much more limited range than your Mk1 eyeball has.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838
              I think it all comes down to personal taste and the way HDR is used, Sheal.

I agree with you partially, Sheal, as I like to take images that show subjects as they are. But take for example your competition winning shot of the boy standing on the shore. For you it recorded a moment in time with your family but when you entered it into the competition and you knew it had "atmosphere" other people saw it in a different more poetic light so it became more than a record of just a family moment.
              A lot of family orientated pics are taken for recording/reminiscence purposes but then some people have the thought "what if??" popping into their mind and start looking at new angles to take images with. When you step into the image changing area then, yes, the picture can become an entirely different animal if you add/delete/change it in major ways rather than say just improving sharpness, saturation, contrast, or cropping it. But then if it's made known by the image taker that the image is not a untouched image but one that has been altered for "artistic" reasons then you can judge the image more fairly as a work that you may or may not like.

• Like Like x 1
              • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,035
                I'm terrible at keeping 'processed' images Armandii. I'd a really good one, or so I thought, of Wells Cathedral and think I've junked it. But I've just knocked out another quickie from some of the originals, not as good as the one I junked and not done in Photomatix - I used CanonDPP as it's quicker though doesn't have the same fine control. Detail isn't as good as I'd like but that was due to a wide open lens. Next time I visit I'll whack up the ISO and close the aperture!

Very much a quickie - needs quite a bit of tweaking, but may give an idea of the potential of HDR
                wellsHDR.JPG

This next one may be a bit chocolate box'ish to some, but it captures the mood at the time pretty well.
                stormyhdrSML.jpg

This one isn't HDR, it's a single shot with sepia conversion. For me at least, it conveys the mood on the day far better than the original full colour shot which was pretty insipid.
                Loch Maree sepia.JPG

• Like Like x 2
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +53,889
                  I've taken on board what you are both saying, Dave, Armandii. Meanwhile I keep scrolling back to look at the two top images that Dave has posted. I just can't help feeling that the second one is false, I think for me to accept this as photography HDR will have to be improved much more, if that's possible. Having said that, I don't alter my pictures in any way, if they don't stand on there own merit then I delete them. :)

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,838
                  It's not so much as HDR photography having to improve, Sheal, as to whether or not you like the particular method/use the photographer has put it to. You can use HDR with a "light brush and little paint" or a "big brush and lots of paint", I think you would lean towards to the first:snork: As regards deleting images that "don't stand on their own merit" I think most photographers, including Dave and myself, agree with you and bin them as you do!!

• Like Like x 1
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,838
                    I like both of the first shots, Dave. But I like the second mostly because it reminds me of the qualities and atmosphere of a Constable painting. I can imagine it in a heavy frame hanging on the wall of a Large Estate Hall.
                    I also like the third shot and it definitely conveys a mood that if it wasn't in Sepia wouldn't be there.
                    I still think we would all benefit from more frequent showings of your images despite your "protestations"!!:heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +3,035
                      Thanks Armandii:ThankYou: Funny you mentioned a Constable painting as that's just what the scene reminded me of and what I tried to bring out while processing. Midges and clegs (horse flies) were hellish when I took it up in the west highlands.:runforhills:

• Like Like x 1
                      • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                        Ratings:
                        +91,663
                        Hello I like HDR because when enlarged and framed it can look great,and can appear similar to a water colour :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2