Photynia cuttings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lintama, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Lintama

Lintama Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a large Photynia shrub 'Red Robin', I think that's what it is called. I would like to be able to propogate by taking cuttings. I tried a few last summer but they didn't take. Can anybody advise how this should be done and when? One cutting did strike but later died without any apparent reason. I was most disappointed!

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Try taking some hardwood cuttings in spring I believe plants are full of growth hormones in spring and I have found they root easier, plant 3 or 4 hardwood cuttings or basal cuttings(with root) in a pot containing multi-purpose or cutting compost, and place in a cold frame or sheltered part of the garden. By the following Autumn the rooted cuttings can be carefully planted out in their final growing positions.

3. Lintama

Lintama Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Walnut, I will try that. Perhaps next month I could start taking cutting. Maybe for other shrubs too. I am not sure what basal cuttings are but I will check my RHS books for it.