Pick hops for insomnia!

Discussion in 'What To Do This Month' started by Annemieke, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +133
    Now is the time of year when you can pick hops - here in Cudworth it is abundant, as opposed to last year, when there was hardly any. Hop helps me sleep. I dry the flowers, put them in jars and then make a hop cushion with some of them. Or rather, I fill a hankie with some hops, close it with a rubber band, stick it in a jar by my bed and when I can’t sleep I take it out and put it under my nose. Usually it works in about 20 minutes. Not always, but enough to reward the trouble of picking and drying them.

I once bought some dried hops for beer-making but they smell totally different, rather unpleasant I find, so I’m glad with my plentiful home-picked harvest this year.

Oh and once I run out of hops (the hankie works only for a few weeks, though by day I always put it back in its jar) I do the same with rosemary, dried or as essential oil, but that does not feel so rewarding!

• Like Like x 2
    • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,707
      That's interesting, @Annemieke. I've read old accounts of working-class Londoners going hop-picking in Kent - that used to be a regular arrangement, a sort of working summer holiday - and those often say how well they slept, despite the rough accommodation - I had put that down to fresh air and hard work, but it would seem the scent of hops also helped!

• Like Like x 1
      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,078
        It was probably the hops in the beer that made them sleepy :beer:.....:)

• Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1