Picking Greengages

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by IDK, Jul 28, 2011.

1. IDK

IDK Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have what I believe is a Greengage tree in my garden, which after several years of doing nothing interesting was full of fruit last year. However a few days of bad weather stripped the tree of all the edible fruit and by the time I had realised what had happened I all of the fruit on the ground had gone off. :mad:

The tree is not as heavily laden this year, but there is still enough fruit to do something with, so I don't want the same to happen again this year.

I have been advised by someone (don't remember who) to pick the fruit before it is ready, and then let it ripen indoors. However as novice gardener I don't really know when a good time to pick them is, I noticed some of them are now slightly softer, so I guess about now? Then do I use them straight away or let them ripen? where should I put them to ripen? As you can see I don't really know what I am doing. :scratch: The tree was left by the previous owners of the house and as I said started fruiting last year. I just don't want to let good (free) fruit go to waste.

2. blacksmith

blacksmith Gardener

Ratings:
    +147
    I don't have all the answers you need but I can tell from my own experience that the wasps will get them as soon as they ripen so watch out!!!