Picking Spinach.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by silu, Apr 26, 2016.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Decided to give Spinach a try as we all like it. I sowed some seeds in a deep trough in the greenhouse and had great germination. Each plant now has about 6 proper leaves and I was wondering when I can start picking? and how many leaves do I need to leave on each plant so they continue to thrive? Once this Baltic weather is past I'll drag the trough out of the greenhouse but currently the plants are very happy where they are!

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,994
      I'm in the same situation silu, mine are ready to be planted out but it's too cold overnight for them. With yours I'd wait till they are a bit bigger before picking, they do grow fast so maybe a week or two.

• Like Like x 1
      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,091
        Which spinach are you growing? I grow leaf beet spinach outdoors sowing in situ.

• silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Thanks @JWK. I'll resist, the leaves just look so lush and green, looking forward to them microwaved with a bit of garlic, butter and lemon juice..yum. I have eaten a couple raw, they happened to fall off the plants:whistle:. Nice and tasty.
        @longk, I'm growing Mikado (Unwins, Gro-sure F1). The seed was actually given to me by someone my husband knows who supplies and stocks the seed racks in various outlets. Every Autumn I'm inundated with free packs of seeds which are old stock but usually fine for growing the following season ( even last years Parsnips have reasonable germination). I have also been given packs of Unwins Emelia and Unwins Tirza. I have about 30 plants in the big trough but not sure if that will "do" us. I think I'll sow some more of another variety outside when these Baltic conditions b off. By the way Longk the lovely Iris is flowering in my greenhouse atm. I've now got about 4 times the amount you kindly sent me so going to plant some of it out this season to see if it will withstand Scotland!

• Like Like x 2
        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,091
          Not one that I'm familiar with.

That's good! Where are the photos? The slugs ate through the third flower scape on mine last night :mad:

• silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Camera needs batteries charged but will get one in the next couple of days. So pretty, didn't know the slugs liked it, now forewarned!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • silu

Ratings:
            +8,083
            That's good! Where are the photos? The slugs ate through the third flower scape on mine last night :mad:[/QUOTE.

Sorry @longk forgot to post the photo of your lovely iris. Half is now planted out in a sheltered spot:fingers crossed:.
            For an L plater I'm really doing rather well with my veg apart from the flaming Spinach. the batch I grew in the greenhouse early season was going great guns then the weather warmed up and the whole lot went to seed:sad: fair enough I suppose. The next batch I sowed outside and that hasn't had much warmth to talk about, yet, after the 1st harvest of leaves I now see that the plants are off again to seed:wallbanging:. They are growing in a semi shady spot and our weather over the last 2 to 3 weeks ain't been great and plenty of rain. Any ideas as to why the Spinach is going to seed so quickly? To be honest I think I won't bother with Spinach again. Husband likes Turnip greens and the leaves of the Beetroot so have plenty fairly similar. Would like to know tho why it's being a pest. To rub salt in the wound the variety I have grown (Mikado) proudly states it's bolt resistant....not with me it ain't!

Attached Files:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +48,994
            Spinach always bolts easily with me too, it does help to keep picking it heavily - and nipping off any flowers as soon as they appear but eventually they are no good. I keep sowing it (and Rocket) every few weeks to keep a steady supply.

• Like Like x 1
            • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,091
              If you can keep the slugs away from it that Iris will do very well for you!

• Like Like x 1