Pickled onions

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by EddieJ, Aug 15, 2010.

1. EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    I'm about to make my first ever pickled onions and have a question.

Why is there a need to heat/boil the vinegar?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: Well I do it so I combine the flavours of the spices I am adding with the vinegar, the vinegar brings out the flavour... I add ginger, cinnamon, allspice berries & chillies to mine along with pickling spice... :thumb: I pour my vinegar on when it is cold as I like a crunchy onion... If you like a softer onion pour it on when it is warm...... :wink:
    If this is your 1st time at it make sure when you are boiling the vinegar you have doors & or windows open, because it removes the oxygen from the air.. Especially if you suffer from Asthma Eddie.. :wink: Have fun & enjoy them at Christmas..!! :wink:[FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]boiling vinegar does not only smell quite strong it also removes oxygen from the air, so make sure that you open windows or doors and take care if you suffer from asthma.[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]boiling vinegar does not only smell quite strong it also removes oxygen from the air, so make sure that you open windows or doors and take care if you suffer from asthma.[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]boiling vinegar does not only smell quite strong it also removes oxygen from the air, so make sure that you open windows or doors and take care if you suffer from asthma.[/FONT]