pineapple

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by samsoph, Sep 6, 2005.

1. samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,
    We had a pineapple this weekend,i have cut off the top to try and plant, i did find some info on this online so at the moment where i cut the bottom off it is currently drying out, but does anyone have any advice on growing pinapples from seed, i found 2 pips in the pineapple, i have put them in a pot of damp soil and put a plastic bag over it, should i keep it in the shade, or in the sun if possible? any ideas?
    thanks Gillx

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    I'm in the process of growing my second pineapple and it very nearly ripe.
    The first was grown on the cutting from a top, and this one has taken 2 years longer, grown from seed, that makes 5 years in all.
    As I remember they germinate easily but like a high temperature to speed them up.
    I wouldn't put it in the sun though, it might cook at this time of the year, airing cupboard or propagator best at about 80 F.

[ 06. September 2005, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: pete2255 ]

3. samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Pete,
    Do you mean you actually have a pinapple you can eat? Did you have to do the apple in the bag thing? 5 years ..long time!!! i don't know if my airing cupboard will work, we have our combi boiler in it, and i doubt it will get near that temo in there, i am going to have to persevere with the bag i think and see how it goes,
    thanks so much for the info
    Gill

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    Samsoph, My avitar is my first one a couple of years ago, they haven't got to supermarket size, only about 6ins long, but quite edible, and very sweet.
    They are only in 7in half pots, so cant really expect too much.
    I didn't do the apple in a bag bit, no. They seem to flower when ready naturally in Dec/Jan and slowly grow all summer, and ripen in Sept.
    If it was me, I think the cutting from the top is the best option, I wouldn't really bother with the seeds again.

5. samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Pete,
    i think i can just make it out on the little pic, i'd love to be able to do that its brilliant!
    i am going to plant the stalk this weekend, it had some roots already when i cut away the bottom so hopefully it will take ok, i'll keep the seeds going if i can, my kids love watching things like that grow from nothing,
    Thanks for your help
    Gill