Pink fir apple Pots died back

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by tuttifrutti, Jul 28, 2006.

1. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i have an allotment and have planted a few trenchs of pink fir apple potatoes. Over the last few weeks all the foliage had died back. Does this mean they are now ready or do you think it might be due to the hot weather. Will they still be growing under the soil(so i can keep watering) or will now have stopped - as they are smallish. :eek:

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Now that the foliage has died back I would gently scrape away the soil with your hand or fork to see what is going on.
    If you find plenty of nobbly tubers underneath the soil,then they should be ready to harvest.

Pink Fir Apple is a maincrop potato,so will be ready for harvesting from August onwards.

Our late spuds were having the foliage dying back 3 weeks ago,due I think due to the heat and lack of water.If they are left in the ground for too long,then when the foliage has vanished you will have a problem locating them.

In my "Veg Expert" book,ity says to water in dry weather,as the tubers are starting to form,so check first and if the tubers are small,then it won't hurt to water.

Hope this helps.
    Good Luck

Kandyfloss

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Pink Fir Apple are never very big, but they should be between 1-5" in my experience when fully grown. If they're not, then carry on as Kandyfloss says.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Pink fir apple is the only spud I bother to grow, but as far as growth is concerned its no different to any other.
    If the tops have died off this early its probably due to the dry weather, I cant see how the potatoes can get any bigger once the tops have died, and my guess would be that watering now wouldn't do any good.
    I usually dig mine in early september and there is still some top growth then in most years.

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Yes I agree pete, I thought that if the problem was lack of water there might still be some life left in plants!
    I am growing some potatos this year for my daughter, but normally only bother with a few pnk fir apples for salads.
    [​IMG]