Pinks flowering???

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Janet mahay, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +609
    I have some dianthus-pink-kisses in a flower box outside and i noticed today they are flowering I always thought they are summer flowers
    The pinks died off in autumn but have come back plus one poted fushia outside too has still got some buds and flowers on and still green infact its been flowering since july have they gone crazy like the weather lol? I have not grown pinks before so i dont know if they flower all year round even outside?
    When they stopped flowering i left them in the flower box covered their roots with newspaper and put them at back of garden till spring but it seems they cart wait lol as for fushie usually my fushies have died by now so surprised one still going strong maybe it recieved some protection by covering the roots with newspaper i dont know? So can summer plants still flourish outside in winter despite having some sharp frosts?

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Hello Janet
    Well, summer plants can and do flourish in winter in many places. Here in west cornwall they usually do; pelargoniums, fuchsias, gazanias etc. etc. for example
    However, your dianthus is a perennial and flowers for ages and does not need winter protection. Easy to propagate too at almost any time of year :)

3. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Hello Janet
    Well, summer plants can and do flourish in winter in many places. Here in west cornwall they usually do; pelargoniums, fuchsias, gazanias etc. etc. for example. All depends on the severity of the winter in your area
    However, pinks are hardy perennials ...take cuttings too; they are easy and will produce flowering plants next summer

4. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Oh dear! The rain must have gotten to my brain...Posted this twice :noidea:

5. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +609
    Its o.k. I did the same posted twice lol thanks