Pinus Mugo

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Garden monkey, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Garden monkey

Garden monkey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I bought a pinus mugo conifer in April and have planted it in sunny position although it receives some shade from neighbouring plants.

Over the last few weeks many of the branches and fronds have started to turn brown despite being watered regularly.

Is this problem being caused by the current hot weather. There appears to be no insect infestation. Will it come back to health after the dry weather ends?

I have attached a picture as a reference.

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,979
    Difficult to say, but I've always found pines to be pretty drought tolerant.
    As you have only recently planted it I'd be inclined to think the roots have not got out of the original rootball.
    If the original pot compost was peat based it can be difficult to rewet once dry.

The brown parts will not go green again, so if it survives it might look a bit tatty for a few years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      My thinking too Pete.......viz. that the plant may be pot bound. So many folk plant shrubs, etc. without soaking the rootball first; or loosening the roots.

Garden Monkey....not hedging my bets here (:snorky:) but have you been over watering it ? If the plant is small and you have been watering it every day it could be an issue.

I grow a variety of pinus mugo here in my sunny, free draining garden and in a spot that receives very little water. Never watered it over the years.

So, did you soak the rootball before planting? Were the roots tightly congested? And, on the other side, are you over generous with the watering?