Pixilated Pictures

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Victoria, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,139
    :) Hello knowledgeable photographers out there ...

I am now trying to use my Fuji Finepix S1000fd the majority of the time and am learning new things all the time. However, I am finding that when I go into iPhoto Plus4 (which I use for reducing/editing/whatever of my photos, my pictures become pixilated ... which in turn is pixilating me! :halp:

T'other half says it's probably because of the reduction in size from the original to the standard size I post here ... but he is a point and shoot with his mobile or camera and that's about it. I don't think it does it if I crop first and then re-size only when I am using the full-size picture as I have just posted in the Summer Comp.

Can anyone help me here please? :ntwrth:

Thank you in advance.

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Have you tried using Paint Shop Pro to reduce the size? I don't get any pixilation when I use it to shrink shots.

I don't know the particular software you are using, but one thing to check is that the software is not reducing the pixels/cm count as well as reducing the overall frame size.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hmm strange, you are reducing to usual size... Couldn't be anything to do with brightness or contrast..?? The only other thing, is do you use a Poloroid filter.. ? Or if nothing else a UV filter... It couled be something to do with the brighness of the sunshine..?! I sometimes have problems in Jamaica if I don't use a Poloroid filter.. Otherwise I would try another Photo editing suite.

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Just had a closer look at your 'seasonal' pic. It's 96 pixels per inch which should display on a VDU quite crisply, unless you zoom right in.
    Could it be that the image you have posted is a small crop from a larger image? Or have you got your Fuji set to a low resolution/jpeg size rather than max size?

Marley - I discovered I needed a polarising filter when in Greece as I wanted some nice crisp cloud photos. I didn't have one so tried holding my polaroid sunspecs in front of the lens. It worked!

5. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :wink: I too have tried it Dave... Sometimes I have had excellent results, sometimes not.. Depends on your camera I think & how well you're sunglasses sit... :wink::D

6. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,139
    Thank you Dave and Marley.

I have stupidly saved over the originals ... is there anything I can now do?

You may as well be speaking Greek* ... or Barbadian in your case ... to me Marley ... that I know of I don't use a filter. This camera is very good at gaugeing (sp?) the light. *Of course, Dave would understand the Greek .... :hehe:

You have posted again Dave as I was answering, no cropping on either ... as I said these are sized-down from the originals ... I will have to look to see what the Fuji is set to resolution/jpeg-wise.

It's Independence Day so about to grill out ... may have to come back to this tomorrow.

Again, thank you in the meantime.

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    Well then Vicky if you are not using a filter, I am seriously wondering if you do need one.. I mean one of these..
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...=aps&hvadid=3052937173&ref=pd_sl_1hizzllkux_b
    Remember I have a big Fuji too..!:wink:

I seriously think your problem is the glare from the sunlight Vicky... Glare will give your camera problems & as sunlight is unpredictable they do their best... I would seriously try a filter.... In my experience in Jamiace & here in the UK, too much sun leads to a brightness & contrast problem...
    Why not at least try Dave's Sunglasses tip...?:wink::D

8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,139
    I'm using the full 10 mega pixels Dave and I didn't zoom .. just a normal pic.

T'other half doesn't think it's glare, Marley ... who am I to question that .... :dh:

I have now loaded Paint Shop Pro as my default graphics package and have played around a bit ... will do so more tomorrow or the next day. In the meantime ... I may have to sadly visit this venue again to re-take the pictures .... :hehe: :yho:

Will advise in due course. k-l

PS I don't think I have any polarised sunglasses ... I have about a dozen which are colour-coordinated to my clothes so are cheapies ... like my toe-post shoes ... probably 25 pairs of those at least ... :hehe:

9. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Victoria,

I haven't used the program your talking about and unfortunatly the work PC i'm on at the mo doesn't allow me to see any photo's on forums but I've just found a user guide for the program, maybe that will help.

http://www2.mustek.com/Class/ipe.html#partone

I just had a quick read ( very quick, i'm supposed to be working!!) and i noticed 2 things. the program automatically zooms to show the image in full screen, does the cropped photo appear pixillated when you print them or open them with a different program??

Also, you may need to change default settings for the post cropped image as in part 4 of the tutorial.

hope it helps, will have another look on my home pc when I get chance.

Glen

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,139
    :) Hello glenw ... nice to see you are still around and thank you so much for that link which I have saved to my Desktop. I actually don't have a tutorial for iPhoto Plus 4 as the Help function doesn't appear to be compatible with Vista. I must say it's a very simple and easy program to use ... which is good for someone like me ... :hehe:

T'other half thinks that as iPhoto Plus 4 is now 13 years old it is perhaps incapable of handling the file size generated by a 10 mega pixel image. As I crop virtually all my pictures I have not encountered this problem. In saying that, my Country Life and Algarvean Daze pictures are not always cropped and I didn't seem to have the problem with them .... but then again I was probably using the Kodak which is 3.1 mega pixels.

I've been playing around experimenting ... the first pic is my problem one done in iPhoto Plus 4, uncropped and re-sized to 640 x 480 pixels The second is a pic done in Paint Shop Pro 8, uncropped and re-sized to 640 x 480 pixels. Look at the difference ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think that perhaps I shall have to use both programs at times .... :help:

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :yho: You've got it cracked then Vicky.. Good news..!! The file sizes are very big with the big Fuji's Vicky ,so your OH is probably right about it being outdated software & file sizes too big with too much information..!! :thmb: No stopping you now then..! :D

12. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Only one reason I know of that photos pixilate - the resolution is set in too low in the camera's menu. I always have my cameras set on a high resolution. Takes up more memory on the card (or whatever) but you get really crisp sharp pics when you enlarge them.

13. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Stick with PSP Vicky, it has a very good and very long pedigree :gnthb:
    Glad you've got the prob sorted!

14. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    When taking photos for detail, always use the highest resolution possible. Then, when you come to work with a photo editor, save your originals as .png files. This way, you don't get quite the same picture loss as when saving as .jpgs, although you do have to remember that in saving png files, they will be quite large, sometimes measuring several MBs in size. :)