plant collections ?

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Gazania, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
    +204
    Hi all, do any of you have collections of certain and specific plants ? Any plant collectors out there ?

Gazania

2. simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,318
    Oh yes Gazania I collect Hemerocallis have 163 named varieties and more on the way in the spring, also have some lovely crosses from the American Hemerocallis Society to sow next year :D
    There is a thread on here called Here come the Daylilies with a lot of pictures of my babies:D
    Do you collect any specific plants ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
      +204
      Wow Simbad, they are really nice plants. Such wonderful colours.
      Do the flowers really last around 24hrs ?
      Do you grow them in pots or do you have them planted around your garden ? If they only flower for such a short time don't you just have clumps of green all around your garden ?
      I don't collect any plants, at the moment. That might change soon though as I love reading about plant collectors and the history behind their plants.

Gazania

• simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,318
      Yes Gazania the flowers do only last 24 hours but there are usually loads of buds so an established clump can flower for up to 6 weeks, there are also quite a lot that rebloom September time too, still had quite a few flowering end of October this year, some of the miniature ones are great for growing in pots,I have a huge bed(thats constantly getting extended:heehee:) in the middle of the garden just for them,which looks amazing from mid June to end of August do have lots in the borders too, fabulous hardy plants,survived last winter no problem.
      Very easy to become addicted to :D

• Like Like x 1
      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,352
        Hi

Daylilys again I have about 70 diffrent ones plus a lot of seeds from America to sow in the spring , come the spring with the new ones on order
        so between me and Simbad we have over 200 but only have a few of the same ones !!!

I will be getting close to a 100:yay: come May and then I will see another one I want

I do have a about 10 diffrent bergamont (monarda) and I think about 20 diffrent snowdrops as well

Spruce

• Like Like x 2
        • Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
          +204
          Hi, so are any of these Daylily plants from Japan/China ?

Gazania

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,091
          • Like Like x 1
          • davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
            +257
            I have a collection of Fuchsias , mostly triphyllas have been up to 150 at one time but now down to about 70...These are housed in a heated greenhouse throughout the winter ..

Dave

• Like Like x 1
            • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,318
              Most daylilies come from the USA, but as they cost so much to import because of the pytosanitary costs I buy most of mine from sellers and collectors in this country or Europe who import them in larger numbers so cheaper, and most trial them in their own gardens first,works out a lot cheaper, although some of the newer varieties can be very expensive, but not when you think of the costs involved importing them, seeds on the other hand don't have to have the same strict checks so you can get some bargains and each plant will be slightly different even from the same cross.
              I have quite a few favourite sellers and ebays a good place to buy too.

• Like Like x 1
              • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
                +12,352

oohhh good question ?? Simbad to answer I think

Mine are mostly from America and Europe breeding (named varieties )

But I do have a selection of tree peony from Japan and China, 4 of them even had chinese newspaper wrapped round them when they arrived, If you look at my photos you will see some of them .

I did have a collection of Canna but a virus killed the lot of them I had about 20 diffrent ones also had helenium (helens flower or sneezewort) but they all died as well with a eel worm problem , all I have left of them are "Sahns early " which is a realy good one .
                I was after for ages redhotpocker Bees lemon & bees sunset and that took me ages to get them but not over keen with my soil so I grow in pots.

You could start small and see what grows best in your garden , then decide but be careful can be very addictive

But give me another year and I will start selling the surplus on Ebay and as Simbad knows I have some realy hard to get your hands on but they look like they take a age to bulk up !!!!! now I know why they are hard to get hold off

Spruce

• Like Like x 2
                • Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
                  +204
                  Hi and thanks, the Tricyrtis look brilliant. Fushsias are interesting and nice looking plants. And I have thought about Peony's before.
                  I have thought about the wild ginger plant in the past.
                  I like nice foliage, not too big flowers, something that can survive in both pots and the garden, and that could manage being overwintered in a cold greenhouse.
                  Gazania

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +29,477
                  I had a collecton of Callistemon, red, mauve, pink, white, yellow and orange, about 10 different varieties which have been left at my previous garden. Fortunately I have replacements for nearly all of them which I shall be planting in the new one soon, my avatar is C. Mauve Mist.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Pollies Daylilies

Pollies Daylilies Gardener

Semi retired Accountant, owner Pollies Daylilies
                    Ratings:
                    +57
                    Hi there. I have come into this conversation rather late as have grotty cold. Just hoping gonna be fit for Christmas. Hi Gazania. I have over 1700 daylilies and a National Collection of Spider and Unusual Daylilies, (my favourites), numbering about 500. They originated from Japan, China and Russia mainly but are hybridised like mad in the US. Also lots of complementary plants, particularly alstromerias, crocosmia, grasses and red hot pokers.

Hi Spruce - please could you let me know what you will be offering when you start selling. I have never bought off e-bay - not that adventurous, I guess. Always room for another:WINK1::D Tree peonies - lovely.

Lots of love Simbad
                    Take care all and have a wonderful Christmas.

• Like Like x 2
                    • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +3,318
                      Hope you feel well for Christmas Pollie, we've all had the stomache bug but all better now, and for the first time in years Robs shifts have fell so he's off work for Christmas :happydance:, maybe thats why he just bought me a dishwasher scared he might have to wash-up :loll:
                      You're missing out Pollie, I've had quite a few lovely ones off ebay, there are lots of great sellers SnapdragonPlants, b.j.t, Jennie sells on there too and Theflowerbower under the name of botanicalady,my favourite seller is Petalpower67 had some beauties from her including one of my absolute favourites 'Jellyfish Jealousy', she hasn't listed for a while though hope she's ok,
                      Have a lovely Christmas xx

• Like Like x 2
                      • Pollies Daylilies

Pollies Daylilies Gardener

Semi retired Accountant, owner Pollies Daylilies
                        Ratings:
                        +57
                        Hello there

I don't know who Petalpower67 is. I know the others and Jennie and I swap plants quite a bit. Glad you are all fighting fit now and great news about the dishwasher.:thumbsup: Have a great Christmas - at least the weather isn't quite as extreme as last year.XX