Solved Plant Identification & care

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by trogre, Aug 16, 2024.

1. trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
    +281
    Hi. I was given a plant a few years ago and to be honest not really looked after it and no idea of the correct name. I potted it in free draing medium and leave it out all summer and inside in greenhouse in winter. It has thrived but not sure how to deal with it.In photos you can see flower stalk s which seem to gone over. Do I cut thse off? How do I propogate this plant as it seems to getting overcroded in pot.When propagating would I use cacti medium.You can see smaller plants hanging over the dge of pot,do I leave these or repot them.Thank you for any advice. Flower 1.jpg

2. Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
    +367
    It's a sempervivum, commonly called houseleeks or chicks and hens. One of the toughest plants that thrives on neglect.

More info here How to grow sempervivum / RHS Gardening

I remember our nan had them growing on her roof where they thrived with no intervention.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,982
      I have them on my corrugated shed roof, been there as long as I can remember.

I think there was an old tale about them keeping lightning away.:biggrin:

Doesn't need greenhouse treatment as they are totally hardy.

Just remove a few offsets and pot up separately in gritty compost.

The rosettes that are flowering will die.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,438
        It's wet cold that does for them, so as long as it's happy with your climate - which it seems to be, it'll be fine. You can easily propagate as described by @pete.

I didn't know the 'myth' about the lightning! I love these old tales and legends though. :smile: