Plant in garden or let them grow indoors to begin with?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fox, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Fox

Fox Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there all, I was just on vegmandan's allotment diary,
    and he was planting his onions indoors, judging by the photos.
    The moving them outdoors when theyre a certain height....

I have just planted carrots, spring onions, cabbages, beetroot today,
    outside. Newbie :eek:

Is this still ok? Will they grow? I'm not looking to break any records, just
    get some fresh veg.

Thanks alot.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I have just planted carrots, spring onions, cabbages, beetroot today, outside"

Don't worry, that's normal! They survived for eons before man and greenhouses came along!

Some thing, particularly root crops, need very careful handling if transplanted, because if, for example, the tap root of a carrot gets broken when being transplanted, or didn't have enough depth in the pot it was growing in, then you aren't going to get much of a carrot!

OTOH I tend to start off pretty much everything in pots because it avoids damage by pest, like slugs, when the plants are very small and vulnerable. But I think its more important early in the year when the soil is cold and the plants grow very slowly; with the warm weather now seedlings will get away much quicker

3. Fox

Fox Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah Arigatoh, thank you, merci...
    that helps very much :D

4. Boveytracey

Boveytracey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It's all in the planning, if you are going down the potting and planting out later route then remember you want to start early, taking advantage of all that money you will spend on heating your house in the winter. So that as soon as you are happy that the frosts have gone you can get your advanced seedings in. A tip for onions shallots and garlic, an old country gardener said to me a long time ago, "plant your onions (etc) on midwinter day and harvest them on midsummer day", I tried that in my garden last winter and it worked a treat, and I will do it again this year.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "Ah Arigatoh, thank you, merci..."

Blimey, its all getting a bit multi-lingual. Doitashimashte, don't mention it, c'est rien!