Plant organiser and holder for car boot

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by emdesigner, May 21, 2023.

1. emdesigner

emdesigner Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,
    I am currently an A-level Product design student designing a potentially new product for plant lovers. It is a plant holder and organiser for your car boot to avoid plants and pots knocking over and spilling soil all over your car during your journey from the garden centre. I am needing to gather some research, so I was just wondering if you all have any current solutions or products that you use to keep your plants up right, it doesn't matter if its a simple solution e.g stacking your bags against the pot. The more replies the better!
    Also would you consider buying a product to keep them upright during the car journey?
    Do you have any thoughts on what the product could look like for example a similar set up to a desk organiser?
    Would it be useful if this plant holder could convert into a trolley to transport all your plants and goods from the car to your garden at once, to save several trips from the car to the garden?
    Thank you! Any replies or thoughts on the project would be greatly appreciated.

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,291
    Hi,

A quick google shows some of the many such boot organisers already on the market so think your only hope of something new is if you can design a support/holder etc thats easy for the user to reconfigure to take the different size pots/plants they may buy.

As for it being a trolley, it makes it bigger, heavier and more expensive, plus when loaded with plants it may well be too heavy for folk to lift out of a boot, many of which have the boot floor well below the boot entrance/lip.

3. Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +19,308
    I suppose your product would be handy to have but remember plants in a garden centre are sold in different sized pots.
    I might buy it if it's light in weight and not too big, so that it fits onto my boot with all the other junk that's in there, and I have a small car.
    When I buy plants I usually wedge them in between the other junk in my boot. Sometimes I put a plastic refuse bag under the plants.

4. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,862
    I have one which does the job. It's a collapsible deep tray so you could base a design around that. Mine is plastic but no reason you can't make them from rigidised fabric or bamboo. Takes up no space when flat.
    If you want it to sell well then take time over aesthetics and make it look well engineered

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    We have a plastic collapsible plant trolley/basket with wheels. It folds flat to about 14" x 17" x 2.5", plus 2 wheels and a retractable handle. We used it for transporting plants from shows and it remained as a box whilst in the boot of the car.