Plant/ Weed ID's Please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Mowerman, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
    +599
    I've hit a brick wall trying to find out what these plants are.

1) A tall weed, very much like Verbena in shape and stature (about 6ft tall) but only flowers with tiny red balls. The stems are a very dark green, sometimes almost even black in appearance.

[​IMG]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=t6z62g&s=9[/IMG] I lost the close-up pic (sorry).

2) A plant that has spread all along a customers borders. Not a weed that I've come across before but seems rather invasive and has spread from next door's garden.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's about 2-3 ft high with pinkish flowers and purple speckled stems and alternating leaf patter much like Japweed (although it definitely isn't), with white roots that are very easy to fork out.

Many thanks

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    • Agree Agree x 1
      Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
      Ratings:
      +3,344
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
        +599
        @Scrungee and @Silver surfer. Many thanks for your help guys.

Plant 2) definitely looks to be Redshank Persicaria maculose.

Plant 1) Could be figwort but the customer has since chopped it down, although there is a single plant in a local field and I'll take a close-up pic in the very near future. These plants' flowers are just small red balls but have always dug them up in new gardens before before they get to a further stage. Maybe the flowers open up eventually.

They are incredibly similar to Verbena bonariensis in shape and height. It's taken ages trying to find out what this is and someone said it's Black Bryrony Tamus communis (which it definitely isn't - and that is something that is seriously nasty stuff and one which I've had a battle with very recently).

• Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
        Ratings:
        +3,344
      • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
        +599
        Looking at further pics you've kindly provided, it does indeed definitely look like the weed Figwort, which you suggested yesterday. I remember a plant that looked like it and had those green berries but it was past the stage of flowering, so couldn't be sure if it was indeed the same plant.

Seems I've either seen it only before the red flower buds have fully opened or until the flowering has ended.

Once again, thanks for your help. Your knowledge of flora and fauna is truly astounding :love30:

• Agree Agree x 1