Planting - Clay Soil and Shade

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Rosie2040, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Rosie2040

Rosie2040 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I live on an estate and have a corner outside where three other gardens meet with ours - it has recently become a meeting place for the children from all three neighbouring abodes to congregate on their trampolines.

I would like to plant shrubs and / or trees in this corner to block out some of our neighbours - preferably that reach a maximum height of 8 - 10ft and require as little pruning as possible. Evergreen is a bonus, but not important. This corner also gets very little sun and is heavy clay soil.

I should also point out that I do actually like my neighbours.....I just don't want to have to make conversation with their children every time I go outside!

Any help you could give me would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening Rosie and welcome to the site.:dbgrtmb: Camellia, Viburnum tinus and Aucuba ( spotted laurel ) would all do well there.:thumbsup:

3. Rosie2040

Rosie2040 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    Before you spend your money and time. Please mix the clay soil with a goodly amount of manure and peat.