Planting distance for a border/informal hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sunelectric, May 9, 2009.

1. Sunelectric

Sunelectric Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of trying to source plants for a front border. I've positioned a few I'm considering 70cm apart (the plants I currently have are two varieties of berberis and pittosporum).

Do you think this is about right or should I increase/decrease the spacing?

Many thanks.

[​IMG]

2. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It depends on how quickly you want the hedge to meet up.

You could perhaps plant a little closer together, but instead of planting in a straight line you could stagger it, and this would give some more interest visually to the planting. As a rule of thumb for plants that size it is around three to a metre. Its personal choice (normally cost) that dictates if you plant closer than this, but if you do you may have to thin within a few years.

Are you expecting those plants to fill the bare earth area, or are you going to plant more plants infront? I think you have got the distance from the property boundary to the plant about right. This gives you the potential to give the shrub a prune prior to hitting the main stems.

Hope this Helps!