Planting in a wooden container

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Jan29, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Jan29

Jan29 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, have worked out that if I ask enough questions maybe one day I might gain enough knowledge to answer someone elses quesion one day (fat chance !!)

Anyway, I bought a wooden trough like container and have treated it with teak oil. Could anyone tell me if I can plant straight into it or should I line it with plastic or something ? Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Jan don't knock yourself down darling I'm sure you know a thing or two and maybe just a little shy of putting your thoughts down on here.....have courage sweetie! [​IMG]

Regarding your wooden trough I would advise you on lining it as this will extend it's life and make your pennies go a little further.

Line it and put some broken crock or gravel in the bottom which will allow for drainage and away you go.Hel.xxx.

3. Jan29

Jan29 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Every time I come on here I go away with another task to complete. I will line the container.

Have put a trellis us against the side of the shed with the idea of planting "climbing" petunias in the container. Not sure how many to put in as the instructions are for a 12" pot with canes in the centre but hey, the more the merrier I guess ?

Last year's "project" was climbing Fuschias that never did get to look like either the picture I have from a magazine or the picture in my head but never mind, live and learn.

Thanks for everyones help.

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    I don't wish to appear negative but these Petunias have been marketed for a few years now as ground cover plants as they spread horizontally and form a small dome.
    Certain plant suppliers have now decided to increase their market by advertising them as climbers, as with the Fuchsias. They do not naturally climb but will grow upwards with support. Don't be surprise if they don't look like the catalogue pics, they very rarely do.

5. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  6. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Goodness, here i am again saying 'i didn't do that'!

Just this last week i painted my '3 tier planter' with the blue wood 'stuff'. I didn't line it last year & I wasn't intending on lining it this year, oops.

Mind you, i'll tell you one thing which i don't know is related to lining or not - i had loads of bugs, insects in it. Living there long after the annuals had gone. Now they're out i wonder if they'll stay out!

Doesn't happen in containers. (Wait for the come back [​IMG]

cheers

7. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hello Jan from experience would plant a plastic trough liner in your wooden planter or use bubble wrap.

Remember drainage holes.

And a photo all planted good luck.