Planting Japanese Anemone in temporary pot/earth October UK

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by ClematisDbee, Sep 28, 2024.

1. ClematisDbee

ClematisDbee Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    I have a young Japanese Anemone - currently in the 2 litre plastic pot it came in. Its buds have opened one by one, with around 7 more to open. I have been keeping it indoors overnight by a fully open window and now think it needs to go outside permanently before the difference in temperatures becomes too pronounced.

I am concerned the buds might be battered before opening, unless I can find a sheltered spot for it. Would it be ok to pot it on now, move it permanently outside and move the pot to shelter in bad weather and in to more sun when the wind and rain drops?

Most of my garden is in dappled shade and the sunnier spots bear the brunt of wind and rain.

Most guides suggest planting out in spring, but I cannot really keep it indoors at night any longer.

Therefore, should I put it in the ground or a moveable pot?

Thankyou

2. BobTG

BobTG Plantaholic

None - at last!
    Ratings:
    +278
    As far as I know, they are completely hardy and need to be outside.
    They do well in pots, so I would pot it on now and place it outside in partial shade (which they prefer) in a spot sheltered from the worst of the wind. It sounds as if most of your garden is suitable. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,132
      They are hardy, fine in dappled shade, wind resistant and prefer moist, free draining soil. If you have space in the ground the soil should still be warm enough for the roots to get established where you are @ClematisDbee but it will also be fine in another pot. A nice addition to the autumn garden :).

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Sep 28, 2024
      • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,500
        If you are happy for it to multiply, then put it in the ground. Otherwise, place in a large pot, and enjoy seeing the pot filled.

• Like Like x 1
        • Escarpment

Escarpment Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,197
          I have planted out two white ones in the last couple of weeks. They look much happier in the ground than they did in their pots.
          2024-09-24_14-58-05.jpg

• Like Like x 3
          • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +4,799
            Can I ask why you had them inside @ClematisDbee ? They're totally hardy plants. :smile:
            They don't mind quite a bit of sun, but it depends where you are - it isn't as hot here where I am as it is in other areas. They cope with windy sites well too, but if you're now having to acclimatise it, it's better to give it a little shelter.
            They also prefer plenty of moisture, and certainly don't mind heavy soil - and usually prefer it.

They aren't pot plants long term IMO, so get it in the ground soon. They also aren't anything like as invasive as the pink ones, but are easy enough to pull out if they get into places you don't want them.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • ClematisDbee

ClematisDbee Gardener

Ratings:
              +23
              Thankyou @BobTG, I think I had better have a look for a sheltered area in the garden, which might not have plantable earth/soil, due to tree roots or paving - and in that case, I will pot it on and get it used to being outside day and night and then try to prepare the earth for planting as soon as possible.

• Like Like x 2
              • ClematisDbee

ClematisDbee Gardener

Ratings:
                +23
                Thankyou @Plantminded. Yes the earth is still warm and workable. My white flowering plant is Honorine Jobert, which tree know is not meant to be particularly rampant. I have a few dappled shade spots in mind. I hope I get to see some more of its flowers before the bad windy weather keeps coming - wind speeds of 40 kmh plus at present. The buds could knock into other plants in the wind etc. I will find a slightly larger temporary pot (from current 2 litre) and place it somewhere a bit sheltered this week, and then try to find a permanent spot very soon. I do love the Japanese Anemones but this is the first plant I have looked after. It has taken me far too long to get my hands on one. I really hope it spreads....

• Like Like x 1
                • ClematisDbee

ClematisDbee Gardener

Ratings:
                  +23
                  Thankyou @RowlandsCastle, I was being indecisive while hoping to see more of the buds flower. It has been enjoying afternoon sun recently which at this time of year, isn't very strong. All the guides suggest morning sun is better, so I was concerned I was doing it all wrong from the outset. It really is a joyous plant even when young and especially at this time of year. when everything else is fading or in a lull in my garden at least.

• ClematisDbee

ClematisDbee Gardener

Ratings:
                  +23
                  Thankyou @Escarpment, lovely photo of yours and heartening to hear they seem much happier in the ground. I feel inspired to do the same.

• ClematisDbee

ClematisDbee Gardener

Ratings:
                  +23
                  Thankyou @fairygirl, yes it was a mix of not having a prepared spot in the ground, along with a wish to see the buds open unhindered by bad weather and then general life got in the way. It has been in an unheated room overnight , with two windows open, so it has been used to a minimum of about 14°c overnight and about 11 to 20°c during the daytime so far. I am pleased to say that two more buds began to open today.

Would you advise extra watering after planting in the ground, if the rain eases off? I will try to plant out this week and if for any reason I can't do that, I will pot it on and place it in a sheltered area at least overnight. The ground is not particularly dry, but being free-draining sandy soil, some parts of my garden might be dryer than the plant would like, however it will end up in dappled shade to part shade when it gets moved this week, so may be less thirsty, especially with the predicted rain.

In case they do spread, are they happy to be dug up and re-planted, should they stray into unwanted areas, would you think?

Thankyou!

• ClematisDbee

ClematisDbee Gardener

Ratings:
                  +23
                  I should add, I did buy an Anemone hupehensis var. japonica 'Pamina' in summer 2023, which I planted then, but it died within months, and I think it had awful
                  'teabag root constricting fabric'. I think this is what went wrong - the roots were constricted. My new plant - Honorine Jobert - seems not to have this constriction, so I do feel more confident that it will live!

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                  Ratings:
                  +4,799
                  H. Jobert is probably one of the easiest white plants. I don't have it in this garden, but I've had it in others. I grow 2 different white varieties in this garden.
                  Sandy soil isn't ideal, but if you get regular rainfall, that would help. I've never had to water them, but our climate suits them very well, and also the clay soil is ideal as it doesn't dry out to any extent here either.
                  I'd have thought it should be fine at this time of year re the amount of moisture, and going through winter, so it shouldn't be necessary to keep watering, but you'll just have to check it. YOu can always add some extra compost or similar around it as a mulch, which will beenefit the moisture retention of the soil, but once established, it should be ok.

Sorry - forgot to reply to the bit about moving them. I've often moved seedlings without any problem. I do it when they're small.
                  A shady spot is good because that will tend to dry out more slowly anyway. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
                  • ClematisDbee

ClematisDbee Gardener

Ratings:
                    +23
                    Thankyou very much @fairygirl, very helpful. Am looking forward to getting it in the ground very soon.