Planting/layering bulbs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sam1974x, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    I have today brought a fair few hundred bulbs.

Tete a tete Daffs - flowers - February/March
    Crocus - flowers March
    Alliums - flowers June/July

Can I plant the daffs and crocus (to flower Feb - March) and also plant the Alliums in the same holes so that once the daffs and crocus start dying off, the alliums will then start to grow and flower ? Or would that be too many bulbs for each hole ?

The other questions was ...... if i space the bulbs (two bulb widths apart say) will this give me nice clumps of flowers or still single looking flowers with gaps inbetween ?

Was thinking that or digging wide holes and just chucking a stack of bulbs in and hope for the best!

(Have only ever planted bulbs in tubs/baskets before - apart from a few last spring for summer flowering but cant remember how I planted them now!)

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I'd plant the alliums amongst other perennials. As they grow, their leaves are hidden by other perennials, leaving you with just the flower head showing :)

The drumstick variety look good planted in large clumps, not individually. They're also smaller, so plant amongst smaller perennials.

As for daffs, plant in clumps, Much more striking. I too dig a hole and plant a group of them at once. It's easier as well.

I won't insult your intelligence pointing out which way round to plant them!

3. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    lol yes even I know that bit :) :hehe:

As for the alliums - ok that solves where I am putting them then! Will plants in clumps alongside the lupins out the front.

Have just ordered the other alliums (from the other thread) which i think are taller so will find somewhere special for those :D ... might even remove some of the weedex and bark and plant in the back garden as I usually dont bother putting anything extra in there as its hard enough now to mark each perennial to make sure the hole doesnt get covered back over so they can come back through!

4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    Sussexgardener--that is exactly what I do with my alliums, plant them hiding among the perennials so that the long stems are hidden/softened. Yes and the drumstick look better in clumps or like smaller ones. There is that one blue bell shaped one I like--don't recall name. And recently last fall found a good yellow one--again name? . They are fun, lots of variety, alliums. The real late, large tall ones I don't have yet need to find a good sun location for those, but not on my list this year.