1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting near a drain

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Andrewrew, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Andrewrew

Andrewrew Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new garden, 4.5m wide and 10m long, with an adopted drain running the length of it at one side.

I'd like to plant some apple and plum trees on dwarfing rootstock, and some blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and rhubarb, just to get started.

Can anyone give me advice about whether the drain is likely to be a problem? If so what are some safe planting distances?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

Generally trees roots spread as far underground as the spread of the branches above.

Saying that though, if they get thirsty they can reach out if they detect a water source, have found pine tree roots completely blocking a clay drain :th scifD36:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Andrewrew

Andrewrew Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      So seems like if I plant the trees on the opposite side from the drain they will be okay. What about the bushes, would their roots be strong enough to damage a drain? I'd like to plant them on the same side of the garden as the drain for some balance.