Planting on a slope

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by liston, Mar 3, 2008.

1. liston

liston Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have approximately 40 feet of 40-45 degree slope running from our garden wall down to the road. Can anyone advise of plants that will be ideal for this east facing slope, to suppress weeds and generally make it a tidy, low maintenance area. Thanks

2. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Liston, cotoneaster springs to mind, the council seem to use these a lot in awkward places, not too much maintainance and good ground cover.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I agree withn Celia on the cotoneaster especially " Horizontallis" I would also use Ceanothus repens.

4. SidSpider

SidSpider Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Liston

I agree with the other posts. Cotoneaster are hardy and cover an area completely. The white flowers in summer and then the orange or red berries are an added bonus.

Three I'd recommend are

Cotoneaster dammeri - which forms a tight, low carpet under a foot in height. It's stems will root wherever they touch the ground.

Cotoneaster 'Coral Beauty' - this forms a mound up to about 3ft and 6ft wide. It has arching branches that again have the tendancy to root if they are in contact with the ground.

Cotoneaster lacteus - Use this one if you want something that will give you a little privacy, as it gets fairly big and can be used for hedging, it can get to 10ft in both height and width.

You may also want to consider Rubus tricolor or 'Betty Ashburner'. These are related to brambles and have a similar growing habit, forming a mass of long interwoven stems that root when in contact with the ground.

Lonicera pileata is another low, tough low growing shrub that is often used by the council.

Paul

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe alpines would be a good idea?

After all most spread with ease and are evergreen and the little flowers on them are enchanting/

Also they are pretty cheap to buy and don't take years to grow into some really good sized plants and you could also plant some spring bulbs among them too.Hel.xxx.

6. Tigerlily

Tigerlily Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Liston,
    Have a look at the periwinkles (vinca) - they are evergreen and spread well, rooting as they go. There are plain-leaved and variegated ones, and are in flower now - blues usually but there is a good plum one as well. Would look good along with cotoneasters.

Good luck!

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Another plant I`ve just thought of is Exochorda " The Bride ".

8. Beechleaf

Beechleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds as if you might need a lot of plants. If you want to cut the cost you could cover some of the area with ivy while you wait for the bushes to spread. There are many varieties, big-leaved, small-leaved, and variegated. Ivy is cheap, and could be free if you can find a spot where it is already growing. It is also tough and makes a good low covering that doesn't need attention.

9. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I might be tempted to try heathers.

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Believe it or not, I was going to say that. :D

Not in fashion these days but good plants.

11. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803