Planting roses where a rose has recently been

Discussion in 'Roses' started by merleworld, Jun 28, 2012.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I've read elsewhere that you shouldn't plant a rose in a spot where another rose has recently been.

Can anyone advise why this is the case? Is it because the previous rose would have sucked all the nutrients out of the soil?

If that is the case, if I mix in lots of compost and give it some rose food, could I plant another rose there?

I had a mature climbing rose next to the garage which I removed last autumn and I want to replace it with a Gertrude Jekyll.

Thanks in advance for the advice :)

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Good afternoon Merleworld rose sickness or rose replant disease,there is no cause known it just happens,but IMHO I would plant your Gertrude Jekyll rose sickness does not cause any harm to your rose and as far as I am aware there is nothing in the soil my friend,but at the moment we have,nt establishes that you have rose sickness,but if you want to play safe then try this method,hope this helps:)

Swap the soil with fresh soil from another part of the garden. The soil should be removed to make a planting hole that is a few centimeters larger than the full spread of the roots. This is usually about 60cm (2ft) diameter and at least 30cm (1ft) deep.Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established.Boost plant growth by applying fertilizer high in nitrogen, such as sulphate of ammonia or hoof and horn.Place the plant in the ground. Improve soil structure by incorporating some well-rotted manure or organic matter into the back-fill soil and firm this around the roots. Water well.

• Like Like x 3
    • merleworld

Ratings:
      +4,087
      Thanks Owl, I'll try that :)

• wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +91,667
      No worries my friend only pleased that I could help:)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      To avoid rose sickenss you need to replace, rather than just replenish, the soil :(

However ... I have read that using mycorrhizal fungi (commercial name "rootgrow") during planting combats rose sickness - it certainly won't do any harm, and at the least will make the rose establish better/faster.

• merleworld

Ratings:
      +4,087
      I have planted my rose in the same spot as the old one (although I planted the Teasing Georgia not Gertrude Jekyll, which will go in another spot). I did what was suggested, ie I dug out the soil and moved to another part of the garden, then filled the hole with John Innes No 3 and horse manure and added some Root Grow, so fingers crossed!