1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting Roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by wiseowl, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,847
    PLANTING ROSES
    This is only the way I plant my Roses,everyone has their own way,But my way is best.(Only joking)
    WHEN TO PLANT
    PLANT WHEN THE SOIL IS WARM AND MOIST.IE OCTOBER THROUGH TO MARCH IF THE WEATHER IS REASONABLE.
    CARE OF PLANTS
    IF YOU HAVE NEW ROSES BUT CANNOT PLANT THEM IMMEDIATELY THEY CAN BE KEPT AS FOLLOWS.
    IN HARD FROSTY WEATHER:KEEP THE PACKING UNOPENED IN YOUR UNHEATED SHED OR GARAGE AND COVER WITH A SACK OF TWO OVER THEM.PLEASE REMEMBER TO UNPACK YOUR ROSES AS SOON AS THE WEATHER CHANGES.THEY WILL KEEP FOR MONTHS WHILE THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE IS ZERO OR LESS,BUT WILL SOON DETERIORATE WHEN THE TEMPERATURE RISES.
    PLANTING SOIL SOME FINE SOIL WILL BE NEEDED TO GO ROUND THE ROOTS,I ALWAYS KEEP SOME IN A SACK JUST INCASE IT RAINS AND THE SOIL GETS A BIT STICKY AT PLANTING TIME.
    TAKE ,WATER,SOIL,A SPADE AND A ROSE BUSH;THATS THE RECIPE FOR THIRTY YEARS OF BEAUTY.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PLANTING BARE ROOT BUSHES AND SHRUBS
    I TAKE MY FIRST ROSE AND CHECK IT.CUT OFF ANY LEAVES,SOFT TOP GROWTH,VERY THIN SHOOTS,SHORTEN ANY DAMAGED SHOOTS OR ROOTS SO AS TO REMOVE THE DAMAGED PART.IF THE ROOTS PROTUDES BEYOND THE JUNCTION WITH THE STEMS,SHORTEN IT TO THAT JUNCTION;A SHARP PAIR OF SECATEURS AND MAKE A FIRM CUT,IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE A CLEAN JOB OF IT.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [[​IMG]

THE 7 LINES INDICATE(1)A PIECE OF STEM THAT WILL DIE BACK TO THE EYE.
    (2)AN OLD LEAF-WITH BLACKSPOT ON IT(3)A ROOT NEARLY BROKEN OFF(4)A BROKEN STEM(5)A SHOOT TO THIN TO KEEP
    (6)A ROOTSTOCK"SNAG";AND(7)AN INCIPIENT SUCKER
    ALL OF THESE SHOULD BE TRIMMED OFF BEFORE PLANTING

----------------------------------------------

THE SIZE OF THE HOLE DEPENDS ON THE SIZE OF THE ROOTS.

THE PLIABLE ROOTS ARE BETTER SITTING IN THE BOTTOM OF THE HOLE RATHER THAN GOING STRAIGHT DOWN
    [​IMG]

MOST ROSES NEED A HOLE ONLY ABOUT 7 INCHES (180MM)DEEP.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,847
      GROWING ROSES IN CONTAINERS

THIS IS ONLY WAY THAT I DO IT
      AND HAVE FOUND THAT IT HAS GIVEN ME
      THE BEST RESULTS OVER MANY YEARS.

The best compost that I have found is a loam-based John Innes No 3 to which 10 to 20 percent multi-purpose compost .I position the container before filling with compost as it may be too heavy to move once planted up.Roses love sunshine and should receive sun for at least half the day. However it is imperative that container-grown plants do not dry out or they will become prone to powdery mildew. If possible I try to position the container so that it is shaded for part of the day, leaving the plant itself in full sun.

Ideally I pot up plants in November using bare-root plants, but container-grown plants will do as well, and can be potted up any time between October and April.

DRAINAGE
      Keep the pots raised on feet and add a drainage layer of gravel at the bottom to ensure good winter drainage.

FEEDING
      Roses use up food reserves quickly and grow better if top-dressed each spring with a granular rose fertiliser. Avoid feeding after August as soft growth may be damaged by cold winters.

MULCHING

Mulch with a 5cm (2in) top-dressing of well-rotted garden compost or manure to help retain moisture and enrich the compost.

TOP-DRESSING

Every second year, remove the top 5cm (2in) of compost and replace with a fresh layer.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      Thread Status:
      Not open for further replies.