planting sweet peas outside

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by katiejane, May 25, 2006.

1. katiejane

katiejane Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - newbie to the board - I'm after some advice. I have quite a lot of sweet peas which I have successfully grown from seed inside, and are now in my utility room, waiting to go outside. I have consulted books about hardening off before they go outside, but so far they havn't been able to get outside at all what with the weather and us being away. As we are now at the end of May, can I take the plunge and just plant them outside, or do I still need to acclimatise them? Its either been too wet or windy to have them outside at all so far, and I am eager to get them outside so they can hopefully spread their wings (so to speak!)

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Down here in the soft south, I would just plant them out as its getting quite late. In Cumbria, it may be different. You could play safe and leave them outside in their pots or trays and bring them in if a late frost is forecast. just a few days will harden them up and you should be ok to plant out over the weekend

3. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    As it has been unseasonally cold, for the next few days, put them out during the day, the bring them in overnight. If it is fairly warm overnight up there, then you could chance it.
    :cool:

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I got mine out yesterday.

5. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I've had some in for a couple of weeks but they were well hardened off first in a cold frame then in a sheltered corner. I also laid a couple of long sheets of glass against their trellis and the wall (to act as an open cloche) over the first weekend.

They were grown in 3" peat pots this year so minimal root disturbance. Roots were great and showing through the bottom and sides. [​IMG] Last year SPs were bought from a garden centre. About a dozen were crammed into small pots and though the height was about the same the roots were pathetic and they didn't perform well at all.

So far I'm pleased with the results and though a more expensive way of doing I have some nice little plants that should take most anything the weather can throw at them.

6. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +381
    Welcome katiejane from Cumbria. [​IMG]

7. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Im going to try and get mine out this weekend - I grew them in loo rolls this year - do I need to remove all the cardboard first before planting them do you think?
    Hi Katiejane [​IMG]

8. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I never do. It will soon rot down. [​IMG]

9. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  10. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Mine are waiting to be planted. I gave some to neighbout and she put hers in, but it's been so cold mine are the same height!

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    planted mine out on my balcony a couple of weeks ago was worried about the winds we have had up here in tyne & wear they are fine doing well, my friend lives 15mins from me she has a garden and cannot grow sweet peas, this is my second year with them, last year got some great flowers to display indoors and the smell just wonderful.

12. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I pinched one that was growing behind a garden fence - Ive no idea if it's wild though I suspect it isn't, it has rooted but has been eaten a fair bit and is trying it's best to thrive. I hope it grows cos I really love sweet peas. We have some in the hanging basket too, but we forgot to water them and have lost some. Yes I'm ashamed :(

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hope your dear sweet pea survives the ones in your hanging baskets are they the new ones that are out especially for hanging baskets cause we cant get them here in the north east either the garden centres have sold out or waiting for them to arrive, the secret is iff you can remember water them every other day good luck

14. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    oh, and i forgot welcome katiejane just new member myself, enjoy.