Plants and snow?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by "M", Jan 19, 2013.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Seeds I am delaying (because I don't have the heated equipment to start them off) but:

I have some "cuttings" in pots; now covered in snow.

I have some bulbs sprouting; now covered in snow.

Recent purchases of cordyline, date palm are in the laundry room (cold, but no snow/frost in there)

Questions:

~ my cuttings are hebe, rosa rugosa, holly (predominantly, although one may be a St Johns Wort and another a honeysuckle - yet to be reliably identified) Do you think they will be ok? Is there something I should do/not do?

~ bulbs: most are in compost/ground. However, some are just in a tub ( I know, naughty Mum, but daily life took over :redface: ) Will the one's in the tub (sans compost) be ok? :dunno: Or, should I scurry out and pop them in the shed?

Our greatest (expected) snow fall will be overnight and throughout tomorrow: what should I be doing!!?

Thank you, in advance.

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Don't know about hebe, but all the rest are all native to the UK so you'd expect them to be fine with our weather.

Honeysuckle, holly and wild roses thrive on my land, which is quite high up and very exposed. I've not been to my land for a few weeks but to put it into perspective, I know that because we have about an inch of snow on the ground in Redcar, my land will be under about a foot of snow now, and long after the snow has melted here, there will be large patches of icy snow on my land. Yet the honeysuckle, wild roses and holly still thrive.

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      As C1, says, I'd only worry about the hebe, some are hardier than others.

• Like Like x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,889
        The bulbs in pots should be okay but if the cuttings are in pots I'd move them to a frost free area. The soil in pots can freeze solid which will damage the young roots.

• Like Like x 1