Plants for gravel area

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by cucumber, Sep 18, 2024 at 7:43 PM.

1. cucumber

cucumber Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I have a gravel area that is planted with various Verbenas and Echinops. There's an area by the summerhouse that doesn't get much direct sun this time of year where I had some Astilbes for several years. I've removed them as I was having to water them a lot, but can't find anything to replace them with.

Could anyone suggest a perennial that grows to 18-24 inches, doesn't need watering a lot and doesn't need full sun? Also, it should be immune to slugs.

2. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,965
    Sesleria autumnalis is a mound shaped evergreen grass which will tolerate dry stony soil, as in its native habitat. It grows to 40-60cm and has attractive white flowers, growing in sun or shade. I have three in an east facing border, untouched by slugs or snails :yay:.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • cucumber

cucumber Gardener

Ratings:
      +12
      Thank you very much. This sounds excellent. I'd forgotten about trying grasses.

• Like Like x 1
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,482
        Some Achilleas don't mind less sun at this time of year and many Asters as well, although my Asters were destroyed by slugs this year - they aren't usually bothered. Aquilegias will also be fine, although they can get a bit of mildew, especially as they fade.
        All the 'A's ;)

• Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,097
        I have dryopteris ferns, Brunnera, hardy geraniums and Epimediums in that sort of place. Aquilegias too and if they get mouldy I cut them down and new leaves grow.