plants that respond highly to water

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by richardd2007, Mar 20, 2007.

1. richardd2007

richardd2007 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a designer working in collaboration with Waterwise and Northumbrian Water. I am currently designing home monitoring equipment that indicates to a household their water usage. One of the concepts involves a plant pot that provides water to a plant depending on a households water usage.

I don't have much knowledge of plant life and would appreciate any advice on what plants are extremely reactive to water in a home environment? I would hope the more the household saves water the more the plant looks stronger, healthier than when the household is wasting water.

Kind Regards,

Richard Dale

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I suppose cactii are the ultimate water conservationists that are widely known by the public. Pineapple are also pretty frugal too.

3. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I have noticed that Oxalis triangularis completely droop their leaves if they dry out, and miraculously stand up again if watered. During summer they require quite a bit of water regularly, but not much use in winter I'm afraid as they die down.

4. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    You are looking for a plant which thrives in drought conditions, and wilts when watered? I agree that cacti are the obvious choice, though most do indeed enjoy a good watering (especially through the summer). Thinking caps on!

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    The other plant to consider - that often dies through overwatering is the indoor cyclamen. The difference between a sad plant and a healthy plant is also very marked.

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Richard - I don't now if this is a small picture or what. But I suspect you may be being too sophisticated. I think people do associate watering with flowers. But you may be as well off with a generic flower, just a stalk with a big daisey head at the top, that droops when unhealthy or stands vertical when healthy. Other than a cactus, I don't think the general public are aware of the water requirements of differant types of flower.

7. richardd2007

richardd2007 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou all for your response. After looking into it i did find that there were far too many variables involved with growing a plant linked up to a variable water supply. The concept has been developed as an online resource where users can download a dynamic wallpaper from their water company's website. This wallpaper is an image of a flower that changes depending household usage. As this would be a digital image it is a lot easier to control! Thanks again.