plants that respond highly to water

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by richardd2007, Mar 15, 2007.

1. richardd2007

richardd2007 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a designer working in collaboration with Waterwise and Northumbrian Water. I am currently designing home monitoring equipment that indicates to a household their water usage. One of the concepts involves a plant pot that provides water to a plant depending on a households water usage.

I don't have much knowledge of plant life and would appreciate any advice on what plants are extremely reactive to water in a home environment? I would hope the more the household saves water the more the plant looks stronger, healthier than when the household is wasting water.

Kind Regards,

Richard Dale

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Richard and welcome. One suggestion is a buzzie lizzie (Impatiens). They hate it dry and need a lot of water. In fact when you cut through them, they don't have much inside except water. Also they are one of the best known pot plants. However it is mainly their leaves that droop, rather than the stems. Though there is nothing wrong with a bit of artistic license portraying a drooping stem.

I am sure there must be something else where the stem itself bends almost double without water. But it would have to be a fairly detailed image for the public to identify exactly what type of plant it was.