Plas Newydd, Llangollen

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by terrier, Mar 10, 2008.

1. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    OH took this pic on a 'Hawking experience day' at Plas Newydd this Saturday of an area of Crocus ( and 1 daff) It's an old mansion house with lovely formal gardens. Well worth a visit if you're in the area.

[​IMG]

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Enchanting Terrier I even managed to see the attention seeking daff! :D Hel.xxx.

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
  4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    [​IMG] It is on my list of "places to go" terrier as I have friends who live in Howarden.. That is a fascinating place too..
    I went to Errdig last year terrier. Been there? Another fascinating place. A great family history & lovely gardens & grounds.... [​IMG] Will do a post on it later if I can find my pics.... :D
    http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-erddig/

5. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hawarden is just down the road from where I live and I pass through most days. Home of St Deiniol Library,founded in 1889 by William Ewart Gladstone, that itself is an amasing place. And yes, I know Erddig well, been there many times and always find something new to amaze me. Here's a pic taken with our horses at Erddig. I'm driving the American trap (with the yellow wheels)OH is driving the black trap:

[​IMG]

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    [​IMG] Well well, small world terrier.. One of my friends works in St Deiniols... A great place, have whiled away many an hr there in the Library... Or walked across the road in the Castle grounds.. [​IMG]

7. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Never been to Plas Newydd, Terrier, but have wonderful memories of Llangollen from when I was a child growing up in Liverpool and a visit to Wales was a real treat.

Our school took us on a horse drawn trip up the canal and I have spent time leaning over that lovely bridge in the centre of town at the River Dee when it was running high. The Horseshoe Pass is beautiful.

Always fancied visiting Plas Newydd, as it is deemed to be haunted in certain circles - all things of the supernatural interest me, although I am a sceptic at heart!

Maybe that was a ghostly daffodil apparition from bulb beds long gone by!

Would love to see any more photos of the place if Mrs Terrier took any.

Also - didn't know you had horses - how wonderful!

Kath

8. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    YEARS ago we went on the horse drawn canal boat at Llangollen and the business was for sale (boat, horses and small cottage) we fancied it at the time but didn't go for it but have often thought over the years what an idyllic lifestyle it would have been.