PLastic Pots and Drainage

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by aqua, May 20, 2005.

1. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning [​IMG]

Just a quick question

I'm ready to pot on a couple of my tomatoes into their final pots (and bloody exciting it is too :D )

anyhoos, do I need to put things like broken crockery into plastic pots? I know I do it with proper terracotta pots but is that cos theres only one or two drainage holes?

What do I do for plastic pots (with what looks like bloody LOADS of holes in the bottom :D )

they won't be sat directly on the floor, they'll be on a raised thingy which means there's loads of drainage

cheers in advance of you knowing the answer :D

2. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Woohoo!!! [​IMG] Mine are still in the nursery.

I put bits of polystyrene (at my hubby's recommendation)into the bottom of the containers I planted my peas into. I don't know if proper gardeners do this.

3. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Aqua
    Yeah broken crocks or polystyrene is fine for plastic pots - or you could put a used teabag (or several in the bottom!!!). Need to put something in or else water will just run straight out. do make sure the pots are big enough (at least 12inches/30cm across) & always plant right up to the first set of leaves-the stem will throw out extra roots to aid nutrient take up = healthier plants, more toms. Mix some chicken poo or other organic fertilizer in with the compost (blood, fish & bone is good). You don't need to feed with tomato food until you see the first baby fruits, and to aid pollination try watering from above over the whole plant with a fine rose on your can/hose, a couple of times when in flower. Keep them well watered at the roots too. Hope this helps [​IMG] Hannah - you are a proper gardener!

[ May 20, 2005, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Bayleaf ]

4. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    christ you've just taught me more in one post than I've learnt over the last 3 months :D Bayleaf I love you :D

thanks for the advice, I didn't know whether it was just terracotta pots you did the drainage thing [​IMG] I'll get onto it asap :D

I'll get some organic fertiliser too, forgot about that :D

what size pot do chilli and pepper plants need cos I've got a few of those too (although they're still tiny bloody cold weather :mad: )

5. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Bayleaf what brand of teabags ??? lol

6. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    HI aqua I usually grow most of my chillis in grow bags or 8-9inch pots. My chilli plants are still in small pots just now as well its cold, in fact everything seems to be slow this year even in the greenhouse.

7. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I know how they feel, I'm slow too :D

Does anyone know about tomatillos?

8. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have planted tomatillo seeds for the first time this year, you seem to grow them as you would tomatoes, they stay green ,have a papery husk round them, great for mexican cooking,salsa,guacamole.My plants are about 8inches tall at the moment in the greenhouse(too cold to plant outside here) and that's about as much as I know hope this is of some help. [​IMG]

9. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  10. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Green-tea bags of course Ladybird ;)