please can someone tell me how to control 4 cosmos plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by buttons, Aug 25, 2005.

1. buttons

buttons Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, i was given 4 cosmos plants 3 months ago, sweet little things they are now all over a metre and a half tall and completly out of control... they are all in flower so i cant reduce the hight.... they are planted amongst passion flower and clemitis.... HELP!!!!

2. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Buttons...that's tall...yes sadly you can't cut them, unless you loose the flowers... but cut the stems, which are nearly over quite close to foliage and if you feed them well, may flower again later...but next year nip the ends before they start budding, and you will decrease the hight for later but make them bushier instead.
    Worth a try anyway.

Ladybird

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I tried them for the first time Buttons and think they are brilliant. I put three in a large pot, which was standing on some stones anyway. And so their tops were nearly 6 feet high. They had real presence, but sadly last night's wind broke two of them. Memo next year support them. I am also growing them in a bed with Cleome which is the same height, and Verbena Bonariensis, which is a bit taller. They look magnificent.

I purposely bought the 4 foot ones, but you can buy 2 foot ones as well. The foliage is great and I shall certainly be growing them again.
    Peter