Please change to English.

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Retired, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +5,822
    Hi,

I replied to a YouTube video soloist violin player praising her wonderful playing and she kindly replied but in a language I don't understand; could any member please change it to English please;

Привет,Мне 73,я думала,что самая вощрастная ученица по скрипичной игре УДАЧИ ВАМ УЧЕБЕ!![​IMG][​IMG]

Kind regards, Colin.

2. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +32,996
    Hello, I'm 73, I thought that the oldest student in violin playing GOOD LUCK TO YOUR STUDIES!!

I copy and paste it to a translation site and the above is what came back, not sure if it's right

I googled Translate to English and google translate was first on the list then copy and paste what you wanted to translate then copy and paste back to your post

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,087
      I usually get a pop up asking me if I want a translation via Google.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,667
        Good afternoon Colin(@Retired ) my friend yes its a Russian dialect:smile:

Hello, I'm 73, I thought that the oldest student in violin playing GOOD LUCK TO YOU

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
          Ratings:
          +5,822
          Hi,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it.

Yes I can usually spot the box stating translate but although I've been to Specsavers recently I couldn't see it hence I asked the question; I can now reply; here's the video if of interest I think it's lovely;

Can’t help falling in love violin tutorial/sheet music/accompaniment/close up/slow tempo

Having just married; my wife and I were visiting a second hand furniture store it being on two levels we were skint having a huge mortgage; as we climbed the stairs to the upper floor I noticed a very old violin hanging on the wall; it struck a cord in me having never played a musical instrument and I'd have loved to buy it but I daren't even ask how much it cost so let it go. This was way back in 1976.

Fast forward and with my 74th birthday imminent my wonderful wife asked of me what would I like as a prezzie; at my age I've got just about everything I could ever need or want but suddenly the old violin popped into my head; my wife spoils me rotten and we're now in a good position to indulge in our many and varied hobbies; I browsed the web and was treated to a brand new Hidersine Vivente complete with case; bow and rosin.

Like all violin novices at first I drove our local cats away but as I started to get the hang of using the bow my playing was gradually becoming worse not better which was puzzling and highly frustrating; I'd joined a stringed instrument forum (two in fact and am still member of each). A forum member kindly suggested I contact a luthier so again I browsed the web and fortunately there was luthier this side of Sheffield so I visited him taking along my new violin; it was at the height of Covid so we talked on his doorstep both wearing face covering with heavy traffic thundering past. The violin remained with him for a week then I collected it; WOW he gave it the kiss of life; what a massive transformation; as supplied from Hidersine it was rubbish; two strings were already worn out; the sound post in totally the wrong position plus other adjustments; £30 labour plus £65 for decent set of strings which was worth every penny; now I was happy again.

My introduction then to violins got off to a bad start but I'm stubborn and 20 months later with a great deal more spoiling from my generous wife I'm well set up. I've created a recording studio kitting it out with lots of gear and now proudly own four violins and a genuine Russian Balalaika; I've had to learn so much from scratch; I've never handled a musical instrument before; my age is against me being such a late starter; my eyesight could be better but locally I've found a shop that can enlarge my A4 music scores to A3 and having spent £400 at Specsavers I can now read the scores; my short term memory is incredibly poor so I'm doing things the hard way; I'm making good progress reading violin music scores and doing my best to remember positions to place my fingers unable yet to recognize the notes but it's not stopping me; I've waited a lifetime to play a violin and a violin I'll play.

I hope I don't get my legs slapped by Wiseowl for adding the following;

Violin sound.

The whole thread has mostly been one of woe and moaning because it's been incredible how I've suffered just to get studio time but please scroll down to post #318 here on page 16 and click on Amazing Grace.

I'm playing Lara's Theme; Scarborough Fair; Ode To Joy and now Only Fools Rush In plus the practice pieces I played when I first started.

I can highly recommend violin playing as a very interesting and demanding hobby; violins can be bought for as little as £25 through eBay; my cheapest violin was £25 bought through Gumtree with only two strings so I fitted a new set of cheap strings and such a violin is a very good starter.

I've rambled on as usual but I do like to encourage others to try new hobbies especially during our prolonged UK winters.

I'm 76 in August so I'm a genuine dinosaur but I love challenging hobbies leaving my comfort zone.

Thanks once again.

Oh dear the YouTube video was blocked.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Jun 3, 2023