Please give me a head start on the upcoming GALLERY

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Webmaster, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    With the need for a gallery of pics needed, could you please send good quality images of whatever plants etc you have taken ..... Or if you have too many, could they be burnt to disc and sent to me, and I will reimburse you of your postage.

The address to send them to will be given to you on request if sending a disc, if you just want to send them via Email, you can send them to [email protected]

Please note that it may take a good 1-2 months to get the gallery up and running, as it will involve a lot of juggling around with the site as a whole.

Many thanks in advance

Nathan.

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    do you want single specimen photos with full names, and details of the plant, Nathan?

3. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Sorry, forgot to add that part.

I would like (if possible) Latin name, Common name and good quality single specimen pics.

Details of the plants is optional, but will reduce work load later on ;)

Please also have the file saved as the Plants Common name , This will save me trying to find something saved as DSCF1567 etc when it comes to saving them to the Gallery [​IMG]

Thanks

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds good. Any thoughts on file size and photo dimensions?

5. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,955
    No limits on filesize, I just want good quality pics, dimensions also do not matter.

I would not like edited pictures .... Edited in the way of enhancing the image [​IMG] , contributors name embedded is not a problem ;)

6. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    OK if photos come via "My Photos", rather than via photobucket? Sorry - all these questions.... :D

7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Nathan, I usually post my photos full size in P'Bucket if we start a thread for 'photos to upload' that people post into would it make it easier for you or whoever to right mouse click save them rather than via email ? Obviously the answer is NO if someone has hundreds to offer. I can always help you out and get things moving by saving them for you and burning a cd to give to you at ESC ? Just let me know.

BM :D

8. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Good to hear Nathan.

What do you want in terms of detail, - height, sun or shade, annual/biennual/perrenial, flowering time, special needs etc - that kind of thing?

Methinks your e-mail will buckle :eek: ,

9. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I agree Fran ..e-mail will buckle.

I would keep it simple with just the latin and common name, other wise it becomes more than a gallery. Its very easy to look up its likes and dilikes on GC or on a google from both latin and common name. :D

10. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,955
    That is the idea, Basic information, Common name Latin name and a picture ....... All other can come from the forum.

With regards to getting the pics from Photobucket, Photobucket automatically reduces the filesize ;) , saying that, the filesize PhotoBucket uses should be ideal for what we need.

I will start another thread for uploading pictures to, from memory, you can only upload upto 8 images for each post.

Do not be surprised if I delete them, as I will delete them as soon as I save them, that way I will know where I have got upto ;)

11. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Only problem I can see is that I grow a lot of rarer stuff which has no 'common' English name. It will take me a while to go through the stuff I have and burn to disc, there are 1,000s of them around somewhere.

12. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,955
    :eek: ..... What have I let myself in for :eek:

13. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes - I was a bit worried about the email option and not everyone will be able to burn discs. Uploading 8 at a time to the uploading thread will be manageable and will allow required captions. If there is no popular name, then I guess the commonly used Latin will be ok eg Tigridia

Clearly it will involve a lot of work, but there is no great rush surely - we don't have to send Nathan 1000's all in one go. We can build the collection over a period of time. At some stage, it might need editing if we get too many photos of the same plant.

14. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,955
    I think you have hit the nail on the head Hornbeam [​IMG]

No great rush, as I said, the gallery may not be fully functional for a couple of months, but don't let that stop you posting pics, even if a pic has been submitted, please submit yours, as it may show a different angle etc

15. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    It will be interesting to see how many plants we grow under the wrong name too!