Please ID Amelanchier lamarckii leaf problem

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by cucumber, Jul 13, 2022.

1. cucumber

cucumber Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi.

I planted an Amelanchier in September 2021. There have been no problems until now. This is its first summer and we are going through a heatwave. I'm watering twice a week with two 7L watering cans.

I'd be very grateful if someone could identify the problem in the photo. It's one of the end leaves, still feels soft, and only a few leaves are affected so far. Is it leaf scorch, underwatering or perhaps something else? The tree is shaded for part of the day and there's soil down to approx 9", below which is clay.

Thank you. 20220713_214928.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    A picture of the whole plant could help.
    When you planted it did you open up the root ball and spread the roots out in the planting hole?

3. cucumber

cucumber Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Someone else did the planting. It's more likely the roots were teased out from the rootball rather than being opened up.

20220714_081918.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  4. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    @cucumber
    That should be alright so long as they are not left tight in the root ball, then if the root ball dries out it can be difficult to rewet and the plant struggle to get enough water despite watering. I have made this mistake several times myself.
    Overall your plant looks healthy, so I wouldn't worry too much. It could be a bit of leaf scorch given the hot dry weather recently I would carry on as you are and just keep an eye on it, when the cooler damper weather returns ease off the watering to encourage the plant to send out roots.

5. cucumber

cucumber Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Thank you so much for your advice and comments, they really are appreciated.

• Friendly Friendly x 1