please review my planter

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by smellsmellsmell, Mar 22, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smellsmellsmell

smellsmellsmell Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HI all,
    I am an A Level student who has made this steel planter, with a water feature (that is the large metal bit in the middle, the water flows down and repeats). I wouldn't mind if I could get some feedback on this such as; would you use it, do you like it and is there anything you would change.

Many thanks,
    Liv
    IMG_7155.jpeg

2. Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,583
    That looks very smart. Could you give us its measurements please?.
    Does it have drainage holes?

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +19,299
      I like that it's got wheels and can be moved around, that's very handy :smile:
      and I like the circular designs on the front.
      However it looks (to me) a bit dull, and hopefully if it was placed in a nicer position than you've got it in the picture it would look brighter.

Also has it got drainage holes ? It needs them otherwise it will fill with water after heavy rain.

• Like Like x 1
      • Jenny_Aster

Jenny_Aster Optimistic Gardener.

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,035
        I'm imagining the metal middle is the waterfall with either side being the planters with soil. Would love to see this working. To me it is pleasing on the eye and would be a good foil for colourful flowers.

Are you thinking of having lights?

Love the idea of it having casters. Water and soil can be pretty heavy, would the base be able to cope with the weight, especially if drainage holes are compromising the strength?

Water, metal and electric makes me a little nervous though.

• katecat58

katecat58 Gardener

Ratings:
        +310
        I love the idea but I think it looks unbalanced at the moment - the waterfall bit needs to be taller. Might be good for bog plants as there is bound to be some splashing?

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
        Ratings:
        +1,908
        I'd like to see more photos and dimensions with materials used....then I will give my review:)

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +8,039
        Hi Liv @smellsmellsmell , great job! :star:

The proportions are pleasing to the eye, especially when I imagine lush foliage softening the top- ferns perhaps? The contrast of the round droplet decorations and sharp corners is excellent.

Castors are brilliant idea from practical point of view. Are those handles on the sides? Practicality is the starting point for gardening and you clearly have taken that into consideration.

Personally I would buy your planter if I had a big, walled garden where this would be a focal point in a niche. The design would be harder to fit in a suburban back garden, it needs space around it to show the proportions.

If you are interested in sculpting with water and gardens, Alnwick Garden has some unforgettable water features and metal water sculptures. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +48,925
          Thread under review as per rule 20 quoted below

20. Students' and other Surveys: Such surveys are not allowed to be posted on the Forum without the permission of the Administrators [it needing only one to give permission for the survey to be posted]. Any surveys that are posted without first asking for the permission of Administrative Staff will be deleted and a PM sent to the Survey originator. No survey must contain direct, or indirect, commercial links or references to Companies, Businesses, brands, or manufacturers’ products. If a satisfactory explanation from the originator of the survey cannot be given then both the survey and originator will be permanently banned.

Thread Status:
        Not open for further replies.