1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pleased to be here

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Jack Sparrow, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    Hi There. My name is Gary. I have a garden that is not big but too big for me to look after. Neither my wife nor I have the time, the skills or the interest to keep the garden maintained. Over the years it has become a bit shabby.

Recently one of our cats was badly injured on the road outside our house. We have now bought and installed a cat enclosure in our garden to keep her safe whilst still being outdoors. This has now given me the impetus to re design the rest of the garden. I have lots of ideas, some out of the box. I would like to discuss them with people who know about these things. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

The photo is the view from my back door. The patio around the cage I built myself. If it's ok I would like to post before and after shots as I work my way around the garden.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Hi Gary, welcome to Gardeners Corner.
      One of the secrets is a bit at a time rather than trying to tackle it all at once, and only when you feel like it. That way, you'll enjoy the jobs, and gardening, rather than feeling they're a chore.
      I spent nearly two years trying to keep my two cats in, and other cats out, for that very reason of trying to keep them safe from danger. My solution, with the agreement of my neighbours, was to raise the height of the 6' fence and erect a 4 high extention of slack Chicken Wire which due to the nature of my garden blended visually out of sight. One of my cats was like the Velociraptor in Jurassic Park in that she kept testing the fences and would find the smallest gap to wriggle through.....which is why it took me nearly two years to defeat her! But, for the last few years both cats have remained safely in the garden and use the overplanted garden
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

as their Jungle.:cat-kittyandsmiley::snorky:

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,803
        Hello @Jack Sparrow and a warm welcome to Gardeners Corner my friend:smile:

images.jpg

• Like Like x 1
        • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
          +151
          Welcome to GC @Jack Sparrow

As @ARMANDII has pointed out, a little bit at a time, plenty of patience and a willingness to do the best you can with what you have, should hopefully result in a smile on your chops. But do prepare for the odd frustration here and there as well.

Remember you can only do your best. You can't control the weather, nature in the end, will always take its course!

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +5,414
            I totally agree with everything that's been said. In most things in life I am better at planning than doing. I always remark that things I do look like "I did them" rather than how they should look. There are times though when you just have to do it yourself. When the decision was made to buy and install the cat cage I had the choice of paying a professional landscaper stupid money or to do it myself. I started out by digging out all the trees and bushes from that end of the garden. To help fill the "wasted area" I decided to lay some slabs. The other reason for this was so We could stand the barbecue somewhere without dragging it across the garden.

Anyway, building the patio took months. I didn't have a clue what I was doing. Most days something went wrong. When it did, I packed up my tools and walked away. Eventually I got there and I dare say I'm rather chuffed.

Next I had to cut and lay the sleepers (don't ask). Then finally set the cage on top. I still need to go around and screw the cage to the base but otherwise it's a job well done.

It's nice to achieve something. Through the Autumn, winter and spring I will be changing bits of the garden. Hopefully by next summer all the elements will come together.

Attached Files:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,552
              Welcome to Gardeners Corner Gary. :)

• KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,890
              Hi Gary,

:sign0016:

Welcome to Gardeners Corner.

As has been said above, a little at a time is the way to go once you've got the " back-bones " in .

You'll find that by doing that it will all jell together after a period of time in a way that you couldn't possibly have foreseen .

• Like Like x 2
              • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                Ratings:
                +7,623
                Hi Gary,

I have a disabled cat, Alfie :cat-kittyandsmiley:- it's not safe for him to go further than my back garden.

I did find a way to stop Alfie getting out and other cats getting in - I placed willow screening against each fence panel - it looks good and is relatively cheap.

The idea being (and it does work) - the top of the screening extends over the top of the panel - the narrow top stops cats climbing right to the top. The screening is loosely fixed so it wobbles enough to stop Alfie climbing up it.

Strategically placed pots at cat 'launch points' block off any final gaps in the perimeter:thumbsup:.

Enjoy your garden :spinning:

• Like Like x 1
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,347
                • Sonya

Sonya Gardener

Ratings:
                  +220
                  Hello Gary :sign0016: