plugs or seed

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by use to be gardener, Jan 31, 2007.

1. use to be gardener

use to be gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    a quick poll question what do you use or prefer

1. plugs (plants that have been germanated)
    2. seeds (where you have to sow and germanate)

2. boygardener

boygardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Go plugs go plugs ya go plugs, hehehe :D

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hard question, U2BG - I use both, but prefer seeds. :D

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I agree with dendro. I like both. Plugs are brilliant and very cheap, but are only available for about 5% of the things that I like to grow.

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Love pollinating, seeds forming then planting them its all part of the growing process as far as I am concerned it gives you more satisfaction

6. Time

Time Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Seeds........... If i get plugs they tend to die........... And its more personal....

7. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Prefer seeds myself, very rarely buy plugs - Lose all the fun. Packets of seed are little parcels of potential plants, nothing as exciting as when the first seedling pops through. :D

8. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My success rate with seeds is so low I have to say plugs - I like taking pieces off established plants and growing new ones which I generally give away to friends.

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    From a professional point of view I prefer plugs, they don't cause so many problems when grown in quantity i.e 170,000 plants but I personally prefer the challenge of seeds, this year it will be about 50,000 from plugs and the rest from seed. ;)

10. use to be gardener

use to be gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    some great answers here i prefere seeds but the busy scedual i have i don,t seem to have the time to sow seeds germanate them thin them out harden them off then plant them i go for plugs now adays

11. grandchild4

grandchild4 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I use seeds mainly. Buy plugs for certain plants which I find hard to grow. Bye Grandchild4

12. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    I prefer seeds even though the proceedure is more fiddley and involved the satisfaction in producing plants is amazing.

Plugs I find you can only buy the more common type plants wheras seeds the choice is endless.

13. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I agree Stingo. I do buy plugs of fuschias if I find a variety I like, excellent choice in nearby garden centre.
    I have found very small plugs fragile and unsatisfactory, I much prefer slightly larger ones. My elderly neighbour bought geraniums and sweetpea plugs mailorder, and none of them came to anything.
    Plugs are good if you want just a few plants; I'm always inundated with seedlings I can't bear to throw away.

14. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I try to grow from seed but don`t always get it right,especially with flowers.I bought Garden News the other day and there was a free mag by Van Meuwen.I havn`t bought plug plants like this before but i`m considering buying some Lavender Hidcote.You can either get 42 plants for �£8.99 or 84 plus 42 plants free for �£17.98.Then of course its �£4.99 postage.I have actually filled in the order form but can`t seem to bring myself to go to the post office and pull out �£22.97 plus whatever they`ll charge me for postal orders. :D I`ve been bugging Mr.Fiz to take me into town to buy first early seed taties this afternoon so no doubt my purse will be a bit lighter when i get back. :eek: How Much!!! :rolleyes: :D

15. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Seeds for me guys, like previous posts I find a greater rewaed in growing that just potting on.

Obviously, time and space place certain constraints.

Each to their own ! On that note, I have no need to view the results !

TTFN