plugs

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by carolb, Mar 15, 2007.

1. carolb

carolb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi,any advice on buying plugs,having been garding for,40yrs,and allotmenting since 1973,we have always raised our own seeds,but due to an impending knee replacement i am tempted to buy a few plugs are they worth it,thanks carolb

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Carol. I have to say yes, albeit I don't buy them myself. They are really very cheap. You can get perhaps 50 plugs for the price of one normal sized plant in a pot.

The reason I don't buy them is because I like to have variety, rather than a large number of the same thing. And the range is still fairly small. But you can't criticise them on cost.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have grown plugs as well as seeds for many years - means I can half a dozen plants of different kinds - instead of a tray full of seedlings.

I take them out of their little plastic pots, very carefully - as the fine roots are usually through the mesh - and pot them them up before planting after the last frosts. I reckon they are good value - but obviously not as good as seeds.