Plum leaf curl

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Simonjeaton, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Simonjeaton

Simonjeaton Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a damson plum that has leaf curl, presuambly due to aphids. I have previously used Bayer Provado, but do not want to use a neonicotinoid-containing pesticide if I can help it because of the possible link with declining bee populations.

Any suggestions? Soapy water?

Thanks,
    Simon

2. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I rub them off with my fingers. Or you could just squirt them off with a strong jet of water or, as you say, soapy water. I try and leave a few for the Ladybirds and Blue Tits but get rid of most of them.

3. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,334
    Fruit tree infestation is a tricky one because contact insecticides or soapy water or whatever doesn't really get under and into the curled-up leaves and therefore to the aphids! Whatever you spray with, use a fine spray and really soak the tree, in the hope that some of the liquid will trickle into the leaves and get to the insects. Otherwise, then you just have to grit your teeth and wait for ladybirds, hoverflies, lacewings and wasps to sort out the infestation.

4. OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,615
    I would also watch out for Ants farming the aphids - I have a couple of apple trees which can get badly infested & half of the problem seems to be caused by the ants Mugging the ladybirds so they go elsewhere.. Greasebands seem to stop them from climbing the trunk & gives the ladybirds a chance.

• Agree Agree x 1