1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Plum Tree and Bees

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Mike77, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    My plum tree has been in full bloom for a week or so. There have been plenty of bees around but they seem to have been completely avoiding it and been more attracted to just about anything around about despite not being flowers e.g. sticker on my wheelie bin, things in my garage, nails on my fence, etc.

Might be coincidence but this morning I tied a couple of colourful ribbons onto the tree and in less than 10 minutes I have observed 2 bees dive down straight to it and give it a good going over.

Seems they are easily confused by different colours and perhaps need some encouragement to get them to go where you want them. I've read about companion planting be friendly plants near by to attract them so may add some new plants in.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +957
      Sounds like a good plan, you could underplant with pulmonaria as they are loved by bees. The bumbles are interested in twigs and other spaces because of nesting :) they are a little later waking up from hibernation this year.

• Like Like x 1
      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,089
        Good idea regards the ribbons. Will try this on my Nashi and Victoris plum tree, cheers