Plum tree and Pear tree advice please

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Speedbird1, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Speedbird1

Speedbird1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully below is an image of 2 trees, the one on the left is a Pear and the one on the right is a Plum. Last year on advice from somewhere, i pruned both how i interpreted the instructions and this year got not one single blosson so obviously not one bit of fruit.
    I think they are both about 3 years old but i can't remember when i planted them so that is my best guess.
    What do i need to do to get some fruit next year?
    The Plum tree at it's highest is about 9-10 ft.
    I do not have a clue how or where to prune (as is apparent). So please give advice as the best thing to do.
    Thank you

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I think they are much too young to be pruned, leave them alone for a couple of years. What does concern me is how close together they are. What`s the distance? I would say they should be at least 12ft apart, depending on the mature height.

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
  4. Speedbird1

Speedbird1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oops Dai it would appear that they are indeed too close about 4 foot at this time, but they were both bought as dwarf varieties and are indeed both grafted. I will leave alone and see what happens.
    Thanks for the help.
    Mike