Plum tree - branch failure; fruit ripening?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by RobG, Aug 19, 2024.

1. RobG

RobG Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I've had a branch break on my plum tree and am wondering if there is some way of completing the ripening process of the fruit from that branch - I've rescued about 4kgs that the slugs hadn't got to?
    The branch was very horizontal and does show signs of deteroration but should have perhaps been propped / had the fruit on it thinned.:sad:

2. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,459
    Hello ... and welcome! :)

Hmm, I guess it depends how far along towards ripening the plums are. If fairly close, you could try putting them in a paper bag with a banana. Maybe about 6-8 per bag.

3. RobG

RobG Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Many thanks ViewAhead - I started of with the fallen plums in trays encased in a large poly bag with an apple in each, but remembered too that bananas are better, so got 4 greenish bananas and swapped them over.

I'll post again in due course as to whether I successfully retrieve any of the 4kgs of fruit.

• Like Like x 1
    • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,459
      :blue thumb: Good luck!

Failing that, you will have to find some recipes for using unripe plums. Chutneys, maybe? :)

• RobG

RobG Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      I'm not a great chutney fan I'm afraid so unless I can find someone who is, I'm afraid they will just go into the garden waste brown bin. The only compensation then is that the local authority do at least re-process all that waste into compost.

• Like Like x 1
      • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
        Ratings:
        +1,151
        You do not say how far from ripe the plums are. Some varieties will be July, others October. The plums one sees in supermarkets, 'Ripen at home' , clearly are picked when immature (and then treated with 'substances' to prevent shrinkage, moulds and to 'look fresh' at point of sale.
        They could probably be used in jams, wines, or cooked ,perhaps with another fruit, apples ?, for pie fillings, and even frozen for similar future use.

• RobG

RobG Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +3
        I think I would say that the fruit are fully grown,and based on the other plums on the tree were perhaps 10-14 off days from picking when I started this query. The average amateur probably can't say just how far off from ripe his plums are unlike the professional who can get his fruit picked for 'Ripen at Home'.

Anyway they are in trays inside sealed polybags being subjected to ripening bananas as an experiment. And hopefully as Infradig (I like that!!) suggests they will ripen enough to be jammable, etc.