Plum tree pruning

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Steve R, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I was given a plum tree late winter/early spring last year when a plot holder left our site. It needs some serious pruning and also to be moved this year. The tree is around 10ft tall and the two trunks are a couple of inches thick

Pruning: It has a twin trunk, one needs to be removed and as one side of the tree has fruit and the other has none...that decision has been made for me. I'm happy enough with how to cut it what I am unclear with is "when". All the text I have read suggests that I prune in June to avoid silver leaf disease, but with June being so wet and overcast I wonder if that still holds true?

Moving: I want to move this tree later in the year and plan to root prune first, would it be okay to both prune off one of the two trunks and root prune at the same time?

Steve...:)

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,878
    Well the LATEST you should prune is mid-late july so you could wait for a few weeks or just bite the bullet... It will probably be fine.
    Probably the best way of doing the pruning if you happen to be moving it; less roots means it can sustain less plant which is sorted through removing a trunk. Ah this gardening lark all works out somehow doesn't it! :)