plumeria seeds

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by DUBMAN2011, Jun 22, 2011.

1. DUBMAN2011

DUBMAN2011 Apprentice Gardener

I'm a carpenter and joiner
    Ratings:
    +5
    I found these seeds on eBay for this plant and inwas amazed how beautiful it really looked in the picture. if you don't know this plant from it's name, google it on images you will 100% love it! I didn't think it would grow in the uk but there is afew ppl who are growing them over here, and one is blooming in Scotland! so if it grows up there then it will grow in Kent! lol I'm up for a challenge! lol anyone else growing this plant??

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,441
    Yes, some of us do but it will not flower for a few years from seed and as far as I know will not grow or flower outside in the UK.
    They are strictly for the conservatory or greenhouse or may be a few months outside in a warm summer.

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,441
    No acknoweldgement to the reply. Why did I bother.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    Hiya strongy, I'll talk to ya.:D

5. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Me too :D; I've got one growing from seed at the moment, it's only about 6" high but looks very healthy, it's currently on a very warm windowsill....:thumb:

6. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,441
    I know you will Pete but I wish posters would at least acknowledge the fact that someone has replied to their question, it's just a courtesy, most have but there are a few who haven't.

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    Know what you mean.

I grew a couple to this size from seed without getting any flowers

[​IMG]

I'm now growing cuttings from them.
    I dont think growing from seed is the best way of getting a good flowering plant.

8. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Strongy - I do agree with you that its nice to have a reply acknowledged - especially if you have put some effort into it.

Normally, if you post a question, you would make a point of checking for replies. But occasionally I have added a question to the end of someone else's thread, which has been overlooked. And I have no doubt I have unintentionally overlooked other people's comments, especially if I have been off for a day or two. I still haven't mastered the program's system for marking threads as read. A lot of unread ones seem to get marked as read and vice versa.

I really do appreciate this forum for the experience of the likes of you, Strongy, Pete and Bilbo with experience of growing Plumeria. In the past I had toyed with the idea of growing them from seed, but seem to remember similar remarks.

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,441
    Peter, thanks, it has happened several times before but I'll close the subject now.
    I have grown Plumeria from seed and had flowers in two years but the two plants were grown in a tropical Palm House with more constant warmth and humidity than a domestic greenhouse could provide.
    They aren't the most attractive plants when not in flower particularly when defoliated in winter.
    The plants I bought in Madeira were rooted branches so they have a better chance of flowering, I'll post a pic of mine when it flowers.

• Like Like x 1
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      Thanks Strongy - its lovely to hear about these unusual and exotic plants. The only problem is that there are just so many of them. The more I look into the subject the deeper it gets!

I must admit that if I had acess to a tropical Palm House, I would be wanting to sneak in all manner of items.

• Like Like x 1
      • IDigPerfectSquareHoles

IDigPerfectSquareHoles Gardener

Ratings:
        +28
        I tried growing Plumeria from seed obtained from a proper tropical plants nursery. Unfortunately some fungus got them before they even germinated. I'm now going to try and buy some cuttings or young seedlings, I found one UK-based crowd online who sell both but cuttings are expensive and they're out of stock on seedlings at mo. I'll wait till they have some in stock coz I really can't pay £30 for something that might not even grow in my house, I have no conservatory but was hoping it might be ok with plenty of light.

Buying seeds from eBay is unreliable tho, you end up with something of questionable quality and origin.

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +29,441
        They need heat, light and some degree of humidity, you can try but the leaves might dry out and wither in a house.
        I overwintered mine by a west facing window but they had defoliated and had bare stems and went back into a heated greenhouse in March.

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,679
        I know I wont be bothering with seed anymore.

One day I will take the plunge and buy some cuttings of know flowering performance.:)

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +29,441
        The one that has a flower bud is 2ft high and just producing it's first branches. They must have come from a mature tree/shrub, I

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,679
        I'm thinking that is the way to go strongy:dbgrtmb: