Poisonous Plants - Whats the risk ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Geordie Don, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Geordie Don

Geordie Don Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All

I have just a lovely plant called "Taxus Fastigiata" (Japanese Yew I think,)but upon close inspection on the label it warns the plant is poisonous.
    It really doesn't say much more than that.
    Can anyone tell me what the risks are if any condsidering young children and a cat will be in the garden.

Thanks in advance,
    Geordie.

2. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I think the same as most plants Don't EAT, you will be supprised how many plants are poisonous but only if you eat them, or with some plants the sap can be an irritant. [​IMG]

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    Just apply normal common sence and you'll not have any problems, as TO says loads of plants are poisonous or at best not good to eat but nodody comes to any harm.
    One or two plants for some strange reason seem to get a bad press in this mamby pamby age we live in. [​IMG]

4. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes I'm growing Ricinus at the moment (caster oil plant) highly dangerous if you eat the seeds, but hey! what idiot is going to? and I have a 9yr old son but he knows not to eat things out of the garden anyway, especially my plants!!! :D

5. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Datura anyone ? aparently it is quite widely used as a mind bender but can easily OD and be fatal :eek: I bought one before I knew this. :D

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    All Yew are very poisonous to horses (and possibly cattle) so you should never plant a Yew next to a field. But within a garden there should be no problem. Very often animals have a sixth sense and won't eat poisonous things. But this doesn't work in the case of horses. I understand 4 to 6 inches of leaf will kill a horse.

There should not be any problem with children or cats.

7. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes horses are stupid things, but its funny how they seem to avoid ragwort in fields, but then the silly things eat it dried in hay and that finishes them off!

I have yew, ricinus, daturas aconite....oh the list of baddies goes on, but yes agree "common sense" is best advice and as my old maths teacher used to sa "its called common sense beecause it is so uncommon"

8. digital flower

digital flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    One of the problems with Taxus is the berries have an attractive red aril around the very toxic seeds. The red part can be eaten if the seeds are removed. The foliage, bark and stems of the Taxus can be deadly if ingested. Cats however are impervious to the poison, as are rabbits and deer. I also remember reading that dry old foliage is actually more toxic then the green parts. So be careful where you put your clippings.

9. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,168
    I have many "poisonous" plants in my garden ... three varieties of Solanum, Daturas, Brugmansias, Cestrums, Lantana, etc, etc ... Ricinus grows wild here as do most of the others. There are probably more poisonous plants in our gardens in one way or another, be they leaves / flowers / berries / bulbs than there are non poisonous ... so I don't waste my time worrying about such things ... the bee flying overhead may sting me and I'll die within hours.

I have three cats and there's no problem ... the first three were English, now one English and two Portuguese.

It's just like cats don't like orange peel ... I live in the middle of orange orchards and my English cats loved / love (one left) it. The Portuguese ones grow up with it.

10. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We had a lecture at the Gardening Society last year from a guy who has written the book on pisonous plants ( I think a book on non-poisonous plants would be slimmer ). If anyone is interested I can get the details - watch out if you like to take cut flowers from the garden - Aconitum looks great but...............

11. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a list from college of poisonous plants, and lots of plants are even common ones that are in everyones garden.

12. Geordie Don

Geordie Don Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Top advice folks, very helpful.
    Thanks very much

13. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Tropical oasis,
    Would it be possible to have a copy of the list.
    I'll try RHS online as well.
    John

14. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    It is difficult to create a list of poisonous plants. While some plants are outright toxic to anyone who eats or comes in contact with the plant (Jimson Weed, nightshade), others may cause a reaction in some but not in others.

The following is a listing of plants normally thought to be poisonous. THE LIST IS NOT COMPLETE. People should not eat plants not grown as food crops ââ?¬â? vegetables, fruits, cereal grains. Children should be taught never to eat non-food crop plants.

Poisonous plants vary between animals. Don't assume that since a bird, squirrel or pig ate a plant with no problems, humans can do the same.

If problems are encountered, or for a more complete list of poisonous plants, contact a doctor or the emergency room of your local hospital. Never hesitate contacting a physician if there is the smallest doubt.

Unless otherwise stated, consider all parts of the plant poisonous.

Agave (leaves)
    Amaryllis (bulbs)
    Apple (seeds)
    Azalea
    Bird of Paradise (seeds)
    Black Locust (seeds)
    Bloodroot
    Boston Ivy (berries)
    Boxwood (leaves/twigs)
    Buckeye (seeds)
    Buckthorn (berries)
    Buttercup (leaves)
    Caladium
    Calla (rhizome)
    Castor Bean (seed)
    Christmas Rose
    Cone Flower
    Crown of thorns
    Daffodil
    Daphne
    Delphinium
    Dumbcane (Dieffenbachia)
    Eggplant (plant)
    Elderberry (unripe berries)
    Elephant Ear
    English Ivy (berries)
    Flowering Tobacco
    Foxglove
    Holly (berries)
    Horsechestnut (nuts)
    Hyacinth
    Iris
    Jack-in-the-Pulpit
    Jerusalem Cherry
    Jimson Weed
    Jonquil
    Lantana
    Larkspur
    Lily-of-the-Valley
    Lupine
    Mayapple
    Mistletoe (berries)
    Morning Glory seeds
    Mustard (root)
    Narcissus
    Nicotiana
    Nightshade
    Oleander
    Philodendron
    Poison Hemlock
    Poison Ivy
    Potato (green)
    Privet (berries)
    Ranunculuc
    Rhododendron
    Rhubarb (leaf blade)
    Rosary Pea (seed)
    Snow-on-the-Mountain
    Sweet Potato
    Skunk Cabbage
    Sweet Pea (seeds)
    Tansy
    Tomato (leaves)
    Tulip
    Virginia Creeper (berries)
    Water Hemlock
    Wisteria (seeds/pods)
    Yew (berries)

15. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Miraflores,
    Good sound advice, I know exactly what you mean. I was once involved in the preparation of a database of toxic chemical dye degradation products which I presented in Germany. Exactly what you were sayng about substances affecting animals and humans having different effects. Also the different ways in which toxicity data is measured doesn't allow true comparison from one substance to anoother or even one test to another.